Coral banded shrimp compatibility

chrisnif

So I've decided I want a CBS, what can I put in there it wont fight with. I've been told skunk cleaners and peppermints are not a good mix, and i KNOW a mantis doesnt mix ;)

florida joe

The only issues I have ever heard with coral banded shrimp comparability was with two coral banded's that were not a matched pair or different shrimp that were smaller. As far as other tank mates there seems to be none

fretfreak13

Be careful with small, slow moving fish (ie. Mandarins or Clown Gobies). They become food. CBS are known to attack fish while they sleep too, I would never buy one. My cleaner shrimp is cool enough. lol

btldreef

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3196210
Be careful with small, slow moving fish (ie. Mandarins or Clown Gobies). They become food. CBS are known to attack fish while they sleep too, I would never buy one. My cleaner shrimp is cool enough. lol
+1

I've heard of too many people that eventually loose a fish due to these little guys. I think they're awesome, BUT I'm not sacrificing my mandarins, or cardinals. I personally know someone who had a CBS shred the dorsal fin of her beautiful Purple Tang. That sold me on the idea of never placing one in my tank. If Skunk Cleaner Shrimp don't do it for you, take a look at the Fire Shrimp for some added color. They're almost just as effective as the skunk, but far less aggressive than the CBS.

florida joe

Again I must say I have not talked to anyone who has had a coral banded eat one of their fish. As far as the fire shrimp I can personally say while beautiful unfortunately it is usually reclusive.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3196257
Again I must say I have not talked to anyone who has had a coral banded eat one of their fish. As far as the fire shrimp I can personally say while beautiful unfortunately it is usually reclusive.
A coral banded shrimp is one of those iffy reef invertebrates.
They offer great color/ personality to the tank but unlike cleaners/fire shrimp/peppermint they really dont add to the cleanup crew.
Like you said i have never seen one eat a fish however i heard it happens with very docile fish/slow fish such as mandrins.
To the best of my knowledge, i have heard a pair tends to keep their aggressivness down as long as nothing invades its territory. As far as tank mates (invertabrates) i would say stay cleaner of any other shrimps as well as some crustaceons(cant spell). Then again i heard pairs make them more agressive all in the luck of the draw i guess.

hope it helps

chrisnif

Well I just got a Niger Trigger today...so I guess my question is if I get a big one while the Niger is small, is there any chance at keeping it around for a while?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Chrisnif
http:///forum/post/3196382
Well I just got a Niger Trigger today...so I guess my question is if I get a big one while the Niger is small, is there any chance at keeping it around for a while?
For a while .... it's a risk, but with a Niger, a CBS probably has the best chance (besides a mantis, lol)

j. crow

I have a CBS with a Cleaner Shrimp, but it really depends on their personality ..Some are evil and some are good, I lucked out since I've had them together for a year or two

Jpayso

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
+1

I've heard of too many people that eventually loose a fish due to these little guys. I think they're awesome, BUT I'm not sacrificing my mandarins, or cardinals. I personally know someone who had a CBS shred the dorsal fin of her beautiful Purple Tang. That sold me on the idea of never placing one in my tank. If Skunk Cleaner Shrimp don't do it for you, take a look at the Fire Shrimp for some added color. They're almost just as effective as the skunk, but far less aggressive than the CBS.

I have a CBS and it hasn't bothered any of its aquarium mates. I have a clown fish 3 chromis a zebra snail and two crabs and they all coexist just fine. The cbs is located in one of two places in my 50 gal tank mainly behind one coral rock. Everyone else moves freely. Size wise he about the largest thing in the tank. I fell across this trying to see what other scrimp I could put with him. I like the sexy shrimp I think the name is. But I would have to special order it and would hate to order it for the cbs to kill it.

jay0705

There one of the most aggressive shrimp. If your really concerned I wouldn't add the sexy. They could wrk fine, but it seems sooner or later a cbs will whack something