coral banded shrimp is aggressive

thresher9

I was going to get some new fish for my new tank, but my shrimp is being a jerk. When I first got him I never saw him, he was a scaredy cat. Then maybe a year later he started running at my fish, claws raised, if they got too close to his side of the cave (all bark no bite). Now even the boss fish of my tank runs from him. The new tank is a smaller one, meaning smaller fish, and the shrimp is huge. Will he eat small fish if I put them in there?

S

saxman

If it can catch them, yes. You're not experiencing anything abnormal here...CBS get aggressive, and it only worsens as they grow. I had a big ol' cranky one for about 8 years that was the size of my hand, so I know from whence I speak.

zoidberg01

Coral banded shrimp are demons get him out it grows pretty big and will get hungry for fish my stalked them when they were sleeping and BAM dead so I took him out

john suh

I love my CBS but yea they are definite predators. In my 30 gallon I have at present, 1 dwarf lionfish going on it's 2nd week (still have not eaten), 2 damsel, 1 tomato clown and rest inverts (1 cbs, 10 hermit crab, 7 emerald crab).

Been google searching and reading up on topics for Dwarf Lionfish feeding, have tried mysis, seafood chunks, goldfish etc. etc. Bastard will stalk it but won't eat. I bought a dozen goldfish (yes i know they are not good longterm food sources) but I have to get some food into the Dwarf Lionfish. So last night I dropped a goldfish into the tank. They are not the most fluid of swimmers...moreso with saltwater weakening them. He happened to get too close to my CBS and got caught. Was pretty crazy to watch. He started to eat from the tail down and due to size it took him hours. Woke up this morning to see the front half of the goldfish stuck on the filter intake so cleaned it out.

CBS as you know has long thin body, was surprised it was able to eat half that goldfish, :eek:

Last edited:

jay0705

If it can catch them, yes. You're not experiencing anything abnormal here...CBS get aggressive, and it only worsens as they grow. I had a big ol' cranky one for about 8 years that was the size of my hand, so I know from whence I speak.
Ur back!!!

Kwassing

I had an arrow crab and a CBS in my 125g.. The first night they overnight and i woke up to the arrow crab missing one leg and the CBS missing both pincers.. A couple months later as the CBS grew back his pincers, woke up and the arrow crab was in pieces... So yea..

silverado61

I had an arrow crab and a CBS in my 125g.. The first night they overnight and i woke up to the arrow crab missing one leg and the CBS missing both pincers.. A couple months later as the CBS grew back his pincers, woke up and the arrow crab was in pieces... So yea..
Lol. Revenge of the CBS!

john suh

Heh nice. My CBS just took out a hermit crab the other night. He looked *busy* with the tank light off in a half lit room. Didn't want to startle him so left the tank lights off while I observed. He managed to catch a hermit crab out of its shell and devoured him. I have 10 hermit crabs and they pretty cheap at the LFS so I just take it as a nutritious food item for the CBS. He's doing great in my 30 long. Vibrant colors and very active and has already molted twice (my tanks going on 2.5 months). He used to hide for the first 2 weeks but that is no longer the case. Regardless of the predatory instincts, I'll never get rid of this guy as his body shape and coloration is very unique...one of my favorite inverts in the tank