Coral catshark

OK, I got a coral catshark. They grow up to 24 inches and stays narrow. He's 17 inches right now. I bought him from the store I told you about before with salinity levels low. They are the only store that have them thats locally or internet. I acclimated him for about two hours and still he the diffrence in salinity levels he had to get used to it. He's fine now. I called the store and they told me when they first acclimated him to their tank he did the same thing. He kept going up to the top of the tank and swimming back and forth for about thirty minutes. I'll post pictures of him soon.

babyb

i could be wrong but i think they get bigger than 24 inches, i have always heard they grow from 3 to 4 ft long , what size tank do you have

crashbandicoot

There are two very similar sharks the coral cat shark(Atelomycterus marmoratus) and the marbled cat shark (Atelomycterus Macleayi) They both stay relativly small around 24" at maximum mature length . Now there is the White spotted bamboo shark (chiloscyllium plagosum) They reach a maximum length of about 37 ".
The thing you want to keep in mind is fluctuations in salinity are very very dangerous. Any fluctuations are dangerous to sharks . Honestly I would not buy a shark from a store keeping it in lower salinity . Extended periods of lower salinity can effect the swim bladder of the shark .

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2494932
There are two very similar sharks the coral cat shark(Atelomycterus marmoratus) and the marbled cat shark (Atelomycterus Macleayi) They both stay relativly small around 24" at maximum mature length . Now there is the White spotted bamboo shark (chiloscyllium plagosum) They reach a maximum length of about 37 ".
The thing you want to keep in mind is fluctuations in salinity are very very dangerous. Any fluctuations are dangerous to sharks . Honestly I would not buy a shark from a store keeping it in lower salinity . Extended periods of lower salinity can effect the swim bladder of the shark .
I have the Atelomycterus marmoratus. Yes, the salinity is my worry. I pray for his health. His name is Kazzie. I watched it at the store for about an half an hour , they had three others and a banded shark and they all were active swimmers and eaters. My other problem was they only feed them silversides, so I have to get him to eat other foods.I love looking at his eyes, when he is awake you see a medium black line and when he's sleep the line disappears.Oh he's a male.

crashbandicoot

Well I wish you all the luck . I personally havent kept the spieces but if theres anything I can do to help let me know .

cars&sharks

thats a very nice shark, rather rare for the hobby IMO. i would be careful what you place with him though, even eels. the coral catshark will try and eat fish that are placed with it (even larger fish ie puffer fish and eels).
looking forward to pics.
Jake

mike22cha

Originally Posted by cars&sharks
http:///forum/post/2495418
thats a very nice shark, rather rare for the hobby IMO. i would be careful what you place with him though, even eels. the coral catshark will try and eat fish that are placed with it (even larger fish ie puffer fish and eels).
looking forward to pics.
Jake
From what I've seen most people are more worried about their shark when it's with a puffer.
Can't wait to see pics.

Yesterday morning I looked in the tank and saw just the shell coverings for two of the live bait shrimps that you saw in the pictures. I think the vtail grouper ate them. I thought it was so cool how just the flesh was missing but the whole shell coverings were there still.I don't think its the shark, otherwise would'nt he just swallow the whole thing?When I fed them last night only the miniatus ate. The vtail and the shark did not eat.

brenden

150 gallons is way to small for a Coral Cat Shark. Please consider upgrading in the very near future or a tank, pond, lagoon, ect. of atleast 250-300 gallons.