Coral has not drawn out it's polyps

Hellooooo! It's been awhile since i last posted (also the slug on my profile picture died lol), so i came here to see if anyone knows whats wrong with my coral (also i need ID as i forgot it's name), he hasn't drawn out his polyps 3 days after we increased the lighting (we needed more light as there were some dark spots in the tank, although i don't think that the light is the problem as didn't act weird until the third day which he started to slowly draw in his polyps until now which he has only 5 left). So does anyone know the problem?
picture:

snakeblitz33

Looks like green star polyps that are closed up.
Check it for anything moving - like a nudibranch, sea stars, vermitid snails, anything that can be disturbing it.
Next, check to see if your temperature and salinity are stable and as constant as you can keep it.
Next, check your pH, calcium, and alkalinity with accurate test kits.
After you have checked those off your list, do a 10-20% water change.

flower

Hi,
I agree with snake...but also I wanted to add that star polyps react to any change, then spring back without a problem. It's a hearty coral that can take a lot of abuse, I electroshocked mine when a heater blew...and while most of it died, it survived and grew like a champ afterward. As long as it's mat is deep purple and not white, it's alive. I wish I could say that about the rest of my corals from that fateful day.

mary80

Hi we are starting tour tank and we wanted to start a reff they recomendead us this and it was beautiful at the store and now it looks like this is it dying or is it adapting we think its dead

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary80 http:///t/395830/coral-has-not-drawn-out-its-polyps#post_3526112
Hi we are starting tour tank and we wanted to start a reff they recomendead us this and it was beautiful at the store and now it looks like this is it dying or is it adapting we think its dead
Hi,
Welcome to the site!
Your coral is not dead....
First rule...NEVER
, EVER ask the LFS folks for help or advice. Go to the store knowing exactly what you want and need. This site is awesome for getting advice and help...so save this site in your favorites, and before you purchase a thing, check here. We don't want to sell you anything...we just want to help you succeed.
What you purchased is a leather coral, they shed, and look like they are dying. They are pretty tough corals, but any new coral will be stressed from being handled. It always takes a few days, even a week for a coral to get over it. That type of coral needs high water flow, so right in front of a power head (PH) will keep it happy. The strong flow helps it to sloth off the skin it sheds. Middle or lower tank level, not right up on top close to the lights.
How long has your tank been up and going? Are you sure it's cycled and ready for life? Please tell us all about your set-up...lighting, filtration and such, and what you have in the tank...live rock, type of substrate, how many power heads, how many, and what kind of critters.

mary80

Thank you very much! I don't know much about it my boyfriend is the one taking care of it. We set it up 2 months ago its a 92 galon tank. It has a lunar aqualigth with 4 h output t5 and 4 lunar blue leds. It has one live tree and some rocks, not live

mary80

And we got 3 fishes in it we put the fish a week ago and the plant and leather coral 4 days ago

mr llimpid

I will stick to my comment on your other thread. Corals need a mature tank that is stable, as stable as we can get in our tanks. A two month old tank will go threw many changes, epically as you add decor, live rock or etc. My suggestion is to get the decor the way you want it (make sure all items are set on bottom of tank not on the sand) then start adding creatures, fish first then coral. Reason fish first they have a bigger bio-load change then coral do. Allow 2 to 4 weeks B4 adding more fish this gives bacteria time to multiply. good luck

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary80 http:///t/395830/coral-has-not-drawn-out-its-polyps#post_3526141
I don know what my boyfriend uses to test the water

Hi...the good news is that you have a sump system...Great!
The bad news is you need some more equipment.
You need more live rock, lots more. I pound per gallon of water. The rock should come up half way up the tank. Push the sand to one side, and then push it back over the rock when you get it. The rock MUST be on the bottom of the tank, you can't build on shifting sand. Many SW critters like to dig, and they will cause a rock slide, breaking the tank or crushing the critters. The rock is needed in a SW tank because there are tiny critters that live in it, and keep the little ecosystem going. A SW tank is a living thing, the rock, the sand, even the hoses to the sump will be teeming with life.
You need 2 power heads (Koralia type...Use Google search) the wave is the life of the ocean and your SW tank. This is a must have to keep SW critters, there is less oxygen in saltwater, then in freshwater.
You need a heater in the sump, set it at 76 to 78 degrees... and you very much need a background to really make the tank look nice.
Because you want a reef (tank with corals and fish) In a few months you will also need a skimmer, the octopus sss 1000 is awesome, I have a 90g tank with a sump as well, I love it.
Why did you put damsels in there? When they mature, they will kill everything in the tank less timid then themselves, and will draw blood from your hand if you put it in the tank. I warned you about going to the local fish store (LFS) for advice. Cycle the tank with a couple of damsels is their #1 "STUPID
" thing to suggest. If you intend to keep aggressive fish and want the damsels, that's fine....Remember this, every creature you keep in your tank, will dictate what else you may put in it. Once you add the right amount of rock, removing them will be near impossible. Once you have coral on the rocks...it will be a mess to rip it all apart to get to them. So if you don't intend to have these evil little fish...now is the time to get rid of them.
The rock can also be placed in the sump if you prefer for the filtering benefit, but if you want a reef, the rock in the display is needed to have places to put the corals..
Order your test kits on-line. I use the SeaChem multi test kit, and a reef special kit as well. Don't get an API test kit
, they don't read properly and say your nitrates are off the charts when they are not.

mary80

Thanks forma the info my stuped boyfriend got those fishes I came home from work and I found them in the tank but now I know and thanks for all the help cause I want to do it rigth

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary80 http:///t/395830/coral-has-not-drawn-out-its-polyps#post_3526188
Thanks forma the info my stuped boyfriend got those fishes I came home from work and I found them in the tank but now I know and thanks for all the help cause I want to do it right
Hi,
A quarantine tank would be very, very helpful at this stage. The last thing you want to do is introduce a parasite like Ich. When stocking the tank it also helps you pace yourself and avoid the "too much too soon" crash that many beginners suffer.
One person should be the one stocking the tank or a group decision and that decision has been researched so all know the critters needs.
This book will save you a ton of money and headaches: