Coraline? I hope!

robb

Ok it isn't the best picture but I'm hoping you can tell me what it is. I have 3 NO 40w 48" bulbs now and plan on adding 2 more soon. It is not a reef tank it is just FOWLR and a few critters. I picked up a few of the snails you see in the picture a couple of months ago and they were covered in coraline so I scraped them on a few of my rocks when I added them to my tank. It is not bright purple like I have seen in other peoples tanks but what do you guys think?
The tank was an aggressive set up with 2 40w NO's till just recently. I just added a 3rd 40w bulb. What ever it is, it was growing very slow with a 50/50 attinic and a 10K. I just added a 20K in hopes to help it if it is coraline.

nate_j

are you talking about the color on the snails.. if so.. it looks like it to me the rock i cant tell..

robb

No I know the snails have it on them. It's the rock I'm talking about. I now have three rocks that this stuff is growing on. My wife said it looked like mold at first but it now has a blue or purple tint to it.

pbuck

It's hard to make out but I think I can see some purple on your LR. You will notice it start to grow in circles, they will get bigger, and bigger and bigger. I scrape it off my glass in hopes to populate the rest of my tank/refugium.

robb

Here is yet another blurry picture.
It is spreading on the rock. Not fast but it is getting to be a bigger patch. And now I have 2 other rocks that have small patches of it on them.

robb

This was an aggressive tank until a couple of months ago so there is not a lot of LR yet.

chevytrks

I have 3 colors of coraline in my tank
bright pink, dark red, and bright green
the bright green seems to grow fastest, I am always trying to get it off the back glass

robb

WhooHoo! Thanx kpogue I was hoping someone would tell me yes!:D Even if they didn't know for sure it helps put my mind at ease cause my wife keeps teasing me about it being mold and I am color blind.
Oh yeah chevytrks Nice looking tank!!

kpogue

Just make sure that you add the appropriate amount of Ca,& Iodine and maintainn your PH and over time by the looks of your rock you should have a nice mixture of green and deep purple/blue.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Coraline comes in all colors, including various shades of purple. Looks to me like your got some growth going on in there.

S

simm

I second the different tints to coraline. Iv got the exact same thing as well. The green.