Corals are withdrawn, I need help!

J

jackie dh

I've had a Hammer coral for around 8 months, my tank sprung a leak and I had to move every thing about 3 months ago. It has pretty much stayed closed ever since and it seems to be getting more drawn up as time passes. About two weeks ago I ordered a Frog spawn and a torch coral, neither on is doing well, the torch was out for a while but I think that it may have died. :(
What the heck am I doing wrong?!? The tank is full of mature live rock, I have a sock filter in the sump which is packed with plants. The water quality is good (I will test it in a moment) I have all kinds of Zoos and most of them seem to be doing well, some don't want to open, but others are wide open. I got most of them two weeks ago when I got the Torch and Frogspawn. I have HO T5 lighting, Actinic white and Blue bulbs, over 200 watts and the tank is a 55.
The temp is 78 m/l the salinity is 1.026 and I use Instant Ocean Reef salt. Any ideas?????

tangs rule

My LPS Euphyllia sp. do best with temp `~80-81f....nitrite spikes and high phosphates will cause them to stay flacid.....If yours don't/haven't come out in a while, I'd check all the usual water parameters and if they are at the bottom of the tank, raise to the middle.....also how old are the bulbs? if over 6-7 months, they may be due change...
I use same salt; 1.025; 400ppm calcium; NH4/NO2 =0.0/ NO3=2-5max; 80deg F. PO4=less than .2
My frog & torch are bottom placement - but I'm running almost 8 watts per gallon in 100g tank, dual 250w, 20k MH and quad 65w compact flourescent 10k & actinic. It's a very bright &deep tank and they get plenty light at the bottom.....you might need to raise yours 6"-8" and see if mroe light helps..

J

jackie dh

They are more than half way to the top. The bulbs are around 3 months old, I will raise the temp a bit and see if that helps.

J

jackie dh

I just tested the water, 0 on every thing. I turned up the heat and I will move them up a bit higher. I'm pretty sure the Torch is toast, but the other two stand a good chance. I did a water change last night and they have perked up just a little today.
Do I need metal Halides? I already have frightening electric bills so I have been avoiding them, not to mention the price. I've read and been told that the T5's are good enough many times, but I hate seeing them not thrive. :(

flower

If they perked up a little after awater change, then I would assume the problem is th the water. When is the last time you fed the coral?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DH http:///forum/thread/383766/corals-are-withdrawn-i-need-help#post_3358928
I gave them Marine Snow about a week ago

Okay..my bet is that they are starving to death. Marine snow isn't very good at all. Also, I feed my coral about 2Xs a week. (Sundays and Wednessday)Get some Kents microvert, coral frenzy or that crazy toe stuff from SWF. There was some elements in the new saltwater they could use and came out a bit. I bet if you put some good coral food in there they will come on out.

J

jackie dh

I gave them some more this morning. Any thing that I get will have to be ordered, there aren't any good fish stores here. The Frogspawn looks a little better today, still drawn up but not so much, the hammer is a little better too.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383766/corals-are-withdrawn-i-need-help#post_3358796

If they perked up a little after a water change, then I would assume the problem is in the water. When is the last time you fed the coral?
+1
Sorry for the delay in reply - been sick again......
Waterchanges never hurt when somthing is not doing well - and if they perked up after one - that's a sign somthing is amiss.....And like Flower said - feed
corals 2-3 times a week....I feed a little kent zooplex, chromaplex and phytoplex all mixed in 1 cup of aquarium water