• Identify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like it may be an emerald crap. All crabs can be aggressive, especially with snails. If you keep him, make sure you give him enough food in hopes that he doesn't munch down on other animals that you plan to keep. If you want snails and corals, maybe you can give him to the local fish store.

bang guy

I do not see the red dot that is normally present on the inside of the main claw elbow. I do not believe this is an Emerald.

I think this guy is a full on predator. Most crabs are virtually impossible to identify through a picture. There are a few very common exceptions but most really have no place in a community reef tank.

pegasus

Definitely not an Emerald. While I can't identify it, one thing about it tells me it may not be a threat... the claws. From what I've gathered, rounded claws typically indicate reef-friendly crabs, while pointed claws typically aren't.

JamesF

image.gif
Definitely not an Emerald. While I can't identify it, one thing about it tells me it may not be a threat... the claws. From what I've gathered, rounded claws typically indicate reef-friendly crabs, while pointed claws typically aren't.
Thanks for the reply...
I just came across some old Blogs Q&A on reef site hitchhikers and hides and found a pic that looks closest to mine and it is named as a Gorilla crab(xanthid species) - not good for the tank it was in. Until I get a definative answer I will go will that. The crab has been isolated from the tank so I will see how big I can grow it and then put it in with my decorator for a challenge match.