Creative (cheep) ideas for empty fish tank?

S

sinner's girl

We're moving our fish from the 55gl to the 75gl. This leaves the 55gl empty. I don't want fish or any animal in it.
Any creative ideas for the tank? (It's in the middle of my living room. I'd like it not to just sit there empty for a year.)

beaslbob

put a bright light in it, turn it upside down, put it on a slowly turning lazy susan. Naaaaaaaaaa
How about painting it silver on the inside to make a 4 sided mirror?

D

daniel411

Would make an awesome small garden
My aunt has an emptry 55gallon aquarium in her living room thats filled up with small stuffed animals, (beanie babies I think) and it actually looks cool.

T

thomas712

I'd make a great sump/fuge.
I know use it for what Bob would never think of - Water changes. Just keep it ready to go at all times and do weekly water changes from it.
Thomas

moraym

Just keep water and a small air stone in it, and when guests see the bubbles, watch as they try for hours to find the fish.
The tank and the game that keeps on giving.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by MorayM
Just keep water and a small air stone in it, and when guests see the bubbles, watch as they try for hours to find the fish.
The tank and the game that keeps on giving.

flydan

Hey,
How about a sand scuplture? Hobby shops have bags of sand in various colors. That and a couple of plants or cacti and you could make an oasis.
Just a thought.
Dan'l

polarpooch

i think you should do something live, but low maintenance.
Maybe a terrarium, with little turtles or frogs in freshwater?
Or just a lot of groovy plants to hang over the sides?
Or how about
:
turn it upside down, put something pretty under it, and call it a coffee table??? Or an end table? Or turn it on its side and use it as a plant stand, or a bookshelf??
No??? Just an idea...:)

kittykitty

hmm... you could do an insectarium
with lots of plants and neat bugs like praying mantis's, etc.
or even a poison dart frog tank would be cool. (but then again, that is expensive.)

S

sinner's girl

Ya'll crack me up!

I don't want to paint the inside, because I do want to use again for swf in the future. Books might sratch it, though I do need another bookcase...
I'm not sure about using it for anything alive...I'm limited on time, and we'll be moving in a year so I'd hate to set somethign up only to take it down and move it. Though I'd love to have a few little turtles. I have issues keeping plants alive. The only plant still alive is a dam ivy (?) from my husband's step-grandmother's funeral. Stupid thing won't die.
weekly water changes? What are they? I'm lucky if one gets done every 6 months...then again, that's why I have high nitrates at the moment. :rolleyes: Luckly I only have two fish who are hardy.
No room for it to be a great sump/fuge, the tank hardly fits in the office. (then I'd need something to do with an empty stand in my living room).
"cacti and you could make an oasis." That's an idea, cacti don't need much maintance....ummmm....
snake!! Husband tried that with me once, somehow I got two mice out of the deal and he never got a snake.
Ant farm- that would be my shower (ugh, can't keep the ants out, too much rain). Aunt farm...do we really want to breed them?
Lots of candles..and pretend it's a fireplace. Now there's an idea. Instead of us laying on the couch watching the fish, we could watch the fire.
beanie babies...ummm...I have a sea horse, octpus and snail(they all match). We have some dectorive whatever you call it that I don't want in the 75gl, I could put that in there. Too bad I gave away my castle I had in the fresh water tank.
Keep them coming if you have any more, these are good.
Thanks!

ac

Ship it to me. There's just something fundamentally wrong with an empty aquarium. PS I'll pay shipping:happy:
:happy:

squidd

Turn it up on it's end...put one of those "Mary" figurines in it... a couple candles around the outside...instant "in house" Grotto...
:D

tammi85

I also had an empty 55 tank..I eventually filled it with different colors of broken glass & clear xmas lights..It turned out gorgeous & I get tons of compliments..