Cycling Advice

Fyrefightr

Hi, just got my new BioCube 32 this week. Used live sand and live water and am waiting for it to cycle. Question I have is should I cycle with purigen and chemipure in it or let it cycle without it as well as keep the lights and skimmer off? Your advice is much appreciated

geridoc

Live water doesn't exist - the bacteria live on solid substrate. Don't use any water processing chemicals, nor skimmer (there's nothing to skim). IMHO lights on or off doesn't matter, but don't leave them on for too long or you'll get algae. Just ghost feed and measure ammonia and nitrite.

Fyrefightr

Live water doesn't exist - the bacteria live on solid substrate. Don't use any water processing chemicals, nor skimmer (there's nothing to skim). IMHO lights on or off doesn't matter, but don't leave them on for too long or you'll get algae. Just ghost feed and measure ammonia and nitrite.
I have been ghost feeding for 4 days now using just a pinch of flake food a day and the recommended dosage of Aquavitro seed for 5 days. My test today was PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ? ( on my color chart bright yellow is 0 and a dull orange is 5ppm. the color is somewhere in between so maybe 3ppm). Salinity 1.025 How are my numbers after doing this for a bit? Still being patient. I have NOT had a Diatom bloom yet but it looks like some of the dry rock may be getting some brown stuff on it as of yesterday.

geridoc

Did you ever see an ammonia or nitrite spike? The appearance of measurable nitrate levels suggests that the tank is cycled.

Fyrefightr

OK, so my tank has cycled. Ammonia and Nitrites steady at 0 for 3 days and Nitrates at 10. I have added two darwin clowns and put the purigen back in and turned the skimmer back on. Its Wednesday night and I hit 0 on Sunday and got fish on Sunday. Still nothing yuck in the skimmer just water. Is there a special way to dial the skimmer in? I did notice today that there is a small spot of brown algae forming on one of the rocks so I know the bloom is on the way. I have adjusted the lights so they are on for only 8hrs of daylight. I know not to change the water until after the bloom but is there anything else I need to do or be prepared for?

Jesterrace

OK, so my tank has cycled. Ammonia and Nitrites steady at 0 for 3 days and Nitrates at 10. I have added two darwin clowns and put the purigen back in and turned the skimmer back on. Its Wednesday night and I hit 0 on Sunday and got fish on Sunday. Still nothing yuck in the skimmer just water. Is there a special way to dial the skimmer in? I did notice today that there is a small spot of brown algae forming on one of the rocks so I know the bloom is on the way. I have adjusted the lights so they are on for only 8hrs of daylight. I know not to change the water until after the bloom but is there anything else I need to do or be prepared for?
All skimmers take 7-10 days to break in properly. My Eshoppes HTK-75 is super sensitive to waterflow adjustments. Literally a 1/8 inch turn can mean the difference between not enough and overflowing. Took me several hours of tweaking with it to get it dialed in.