Cycling.... diatoms?!

shannonking21

Hi! So I started my tank about a week ago and am now anxiously awaiting a cycle. I’ve been testing the water daily and so far I’ve had no significant spikes in anything... just a small raise in ammonia or nitrates once. I have some cured dry rock and a few pieces of live rock in there, as well as some live sand. I’m also dosing once a day with AquaVitro Seed, per instructions. And I AM using RO/DI water. However I’ve noticed a few days ago that a thin layer of a light brown algae or what looks like mild diatoms is forming on my sand bed and a little on the dry rock. It’s a very small amount, but it’s there. Is this normal when cycling? Or am I doing something wrong?? Help!

shannonking21

I mean aside from dosing and putting the live rock in, I haven’t done anything else. I’ve been told not to use fish food because it can give off some harmful bacterias as well.

lmforbis

Could well be you have good colonies of bacteria on your rock when you got it. Fish food will be going into the tank eventually. There shouldn’t be any negative bacteria issues with the food. These delicate fish would not make it if there was.
Diatoms are the start of the uglies. It is a good sign that things are progressing. Did you say you are using RODI water?

beaslbob

I start my tanks with macro algae. It balanced out and stabilizes the system plus helps fight the ugly algae as well.