D.I.Y. Saltwater Pond???

Does anybody out there have experience with an outdoor saltwater pond? I've had this dream of building one for years and, now that I live in an area with perfect weather for Cat/Leopard sharks (i.e. Leopards live 1/4 mi. from my door), I'd love to give it a shot.
I'm guessing the pond with be @ 500-600 gallons.
I'm wondering about...
-filtration (I'm thinking about refitting a typical pond filter with cercona bio-blox)with a EuroReef and a D.I.Y skimmer.
-Protecting livestock... (Though Sharks can be tough, Raccoons, housecats and the like can be even touger). What are some tricks I could use to keep these guys away from my pond.
Any other tips? I've looked all over and can't find any information about building a saltwater pond... why? Am I crazy???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have thought about this myself but I can't personally help you with this project. I can suggest that you might want to contact you nearest, or other, saltwater Aquariums for adivse.

mr . salty

Too keep the pretetors away,there is a product on the market called THE SCARECROW that has a motion sensor hooked up to a sprinkler head.If a cat or coon sets off the detector the sprinkler turns on and sprays for a minute or two.As for the pond itself,Saltwater tanks are hard enough to keep stable inside our homes.Have you thought about RAIN WATER???How about MASSIVE EVAPORATION????POLLUTION???Lawn debris getting in there???I agree that it would be COOL,I just feel that it will be impossible to keep the water stable enough to support life.

Thanks, Mr. Salty!
Re: you concerns about rain, evap, pollution, etc... in the words of JFK, "We do this, that and the other thing not because they are easy, but because they are hard." So far, I've been thinking about raising the tank to solve drainage/pollution problems. Rain and evap aren't huge problems here in Pacifica, but I'm sure I'll have to figure on adding lots of evap water. The pond will get some rainwater, but this will be at predictable times... again, I'm in Pacifica. Maybe the problems you pointed out are why nobody is trying this SW pond thing... but it seems so neat!
As for the temp, I already have a backup chiller that I'll use on those rare hot days... very rare.... so rare... ahh, forget it. Coldness might be an issue, so I'm looking at species that will do well in this weather. As there are Leopard sharks living out in the wild about 1/4 mile from my door, I assume they're candidates.
Mr Salty, that Scarecrow thing sound like it might fit the bill. Thanks!

mr . salty

The scarecrow works well for ponds around here.GOOD LUCK,and keep us updated with your plans/progress

Hmmmm.... greenhouse would solve a l,ot of problems? I would have to convince the wife, but if I did it Japanese-style??? Hmmmm...?
@ Knight, Pacifica is on the coast just South of San Francisco.

mr . salty

The two mail order saltwater stores I have been to both are setup in large greenhouses.They have large(1000 gallons+)open holding tanks,with no lights. Just the natural sunlight comming in.They both grow very impressive stuff.This would also colve the heating problem,as greenhouses store alot of solar heat and stay warm all night...

...hmmm.....
and if I could raise plants in that greenhouse as well, my fiancee would approve... ;)
I'm not sure we've got enough space for a greenhouse, but it's a nice dream. It's just wierd that I can't find one hobbyist that's done this.
Thanks for the great info...

sonny

There are some pictures in the Reef Aquarium Vol. 1 of a really cool reef tank outside. They use natural seawater that is pumped in constantly. That solves problems with rain and evaporation, but of course you have to be very close to the ocean. Look for pics of the Waikiki aquarium. They have several set-ups outside where they pump in natural seawater. I don't know how practical that is for you, but it's interesting to look at anyway. I've always wanted to set up a "Pool" for sharks/rays in a basement. My climate won't allow me to have it outside anyway. I would consider putting some sort of shelter over it, like a greenhouse or just an awning made out of acrylic or clear fiberglass to keep rain out.
Good luck,
Sonny