Dad fought the beast...

aw2x3

...and the beast won.
My dad has always been the type of person, when he owns a dog, to yell and scream at it, till it obeys him. He has no concept of training the dog, discipline, etc.
He thinks that if a dog pees in the floor, if you grab the dog and man handle it, rubbing its nose in the carpet, it wont pee anymore...stupid theory.
So, today, he accused my 100lb+ Choc. Lab, Chewbacca, of peeing in the floor. I can look at this dog and he knows he's in trouble and will go and lay down. He is fully bird trained and was even police trained, back in the day (hasnt continued training in years). Not that way for dad...if he's not screaming, the dog isnt listening.
He calls to the dog, really nice..."Come here, Chewy...come here, boy" and when the dog got close enough, dad tried to man handle him and rub his nose in the carpet. I heard what sounded like WW3, coming from the living room...my dad screaming, Chewy barking and snarling, things being knocked over...
Dad isnt a small guy, either...5'10", 260lb (+/-)....but, he didnt stand a chance against the beast. He's so embarrased, he wont even go to the ER to get a tetanus (sp?) shot, or antibiotic, even though his arm is already swelling. The bite is on his forearm, thru a jacket that dad was wearing.
Then, dad and I got into it, when I told him I was glad he got bitten and maybe he'd think twice, next time, before he treats my dog like shat.

renogaw

your dad has no clue on how to train a dog.
1st, if you don't catch the dog in the act, it doesnt know why it is getting punished.
2nd, you don't call a dog all nice and stuff, which it may be trained to do (dog, come) then yell at it. you are punishing the dog for coming!
i too am glad he got bit.

windmill

I'd do the same thing AW. It's your dog, your responsibility, you dish-out the discipline. I think any dog would've done the same thing. Someone other than the "master" was getting rough so it defended itself.
I've always laughed at and felt somewhat sorry for people that think rubbing an animals nose it's own waste will teach it a lesson. Animals do the same thing naturally. Well kinda, they don't aggressively smoosh their nose, but they do sniff their own and other's waste. I've always wondered what the animal thinks of this......"yeah, it's mine, I didn't have to sniff it to know that.....idiot.....what? You want to sniff it too?"

aw2x3

Originally Posted by 04mach
Id put a bullet in that dogs head.

The dog, in particular, which I consider my first born child, has saved me from harm on a few occasions...probably saved my life on one of those, from a coked up neighbor, who was trying to break into my apt. at 4.30am, with a tire iron. The guy broke down my door and was instantly hit by a 100lb+ dog, trying to tear his face off. The fight continued out into the hallway, as the guy was knocked back, until he finally got away from Chewy and ran back into his apt, with dog in chase. Another time, he mauled a Boxer/Pit Bull mix, that tried to attack me, in Chicago, while I was walking him.
He was doing what any dog would do. Someone who normally doesnt dish out the disipline was aggressively man handling him and he was only defending himself. The way my dad grabbed him, he didnt know what was going on...only that someone was hurting him.
As the years have gone by, he's began growling at my dad, when dad yells at him. When he's in trouble, by me, I either only have to look at him or give him a single command and he instantly cowers and goes and lays down...and, I've never once yelled at him or hit him.

reckler

Originally Posted by windmill
I've always wondered what the animal thinks of this......"yeah, it's mine, I didn't have to sniff it to know that.....idiot.....what? You want to sniff it too?"
Windmill you should come to my house abd tell me what my dog says. I am sure she says bad things about me and I want to know....jk. that is funny, I have never heard anything like that...You sure know how to make a persons day.....
:hilarious

aw2x3

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I think I'd hide the rat poison for a while...

Nah...believe it or not, he does love the dog and my mom treats him like the other boy she never had. My dad just has a dumb a@@ outlook on pet discipline.
An hour or so after it happened, dad was playing with him again...although a little more careful than he usually is.

mimzy

there is a whole lot of stupid going on in this situation.... but we don't need to go there.
The only thing I WILL say is that your Dad needs to get over himself and get to the doctor for that bite before they have to amptutate his arm. Dogs' mouths are not as bad as cats' mouths, but if the skin is broken and bacteria infiltrate the blood stream, there is going to be trouble.

dmm0724

I can't imagine having a large dog like that! I already don't trust my 10lbs dachsund around children.....although I grew up hanging all over my grandmothers doberman and never worried and never had a problem...
who knows :notsure:

aw2x3

Chewy grew up around kids. My parents always had my little cousins around, my nephews and neice, etc.
He'd let them lay all over him...you know how kids are, pulling his ears, tormenting him, etc. He'd just lay around and take it, licking them, playing with them, etc.

mimzy

Yup. When a good dog bites, it's the fault of the fool fighting with him. Period.
How's your Dad's wound, Aw2? Is he swollen or sore? He should REALLY go get some antibiotics.....

aw2x3

He still refuses med. attention. It's really swollen and red/purple, but he's keeping it bandaged up.
I already told him that if he doesnt go to the ER now, he'll go in a few days when it's infected and hurts so bad he has no choice but to seek the Dr.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Chewy grew up around kids. My parents always had my little cousins around, my nephews and neice, etc.
He'd let them lay all over him...you know how kids are, pulling his ears, tormenting him, etc. He'd just lay around and take it, licking them, playing with them, etc.
Once a dog bites, it should not be allowed around children without a muzzle. The moves children make can be mistaken for a move that caused the dog to bite.
It doesn't matter one whit how great the dog has been. It doesn't matter what caused this reaction from the dog.
I love dogs, have had them all my life. But a dog that has bitten will have to be treated as a different dog.
On the subject of your dad not going to the doctor...animal laws can be harsh.
What a horrible situation.

catawaba

Dad deserved what he got. I hope Chewy NEVER trusts him or his sweet talk. Give your dog a hug and a cookie for me!

phixer

Can certainly understand your Dads anger, unfortunately the dog will never make the connection as to why its getting punished. Besides the occasional barking and chewing this has got to be the worst part of pet ownership.
I used to just take our dog to the mess and say Baaad in a long low voice. The dog always seemed to understand. Installing a pet door and crate training was how we were able to fix it.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Once a dog bites, it should not be allowed around children without a muzzle. The moves children make can be mistaken for a move that caused the dog to bite.
The day after he bit my dad, my mom was baby sitting my cousin Matthew...5 years old and DEAF...absolutely loves my dog. The best part of his week is getting to come to my mom and dads and get to play with Chewy. He's one of the ones that used to lay around and torment my dog, pulling his ears, jumping on him, etc.
My dog would NEVER, NEVER, EVER hurt a child. The day Matthew was playing with him, he's loving, caring..."let me lay around and lick you, oh wait...you threw my water bottle...I'll go get it and bring it back to you and then lay around and lick you again.".
My dog would NEVER hurt a kid, PERIOD. There's no way I'd ever belive in the "your dog bit someone, it shouldnt be around kids" B.S. Certain dogs, ok...but not ones that have been raised in a loving household, such as mine.
My dog bit my dad because my dad tried disciplining him, when he's not the regular person to discipline. On top of that, my dad was hurting the dog, which shouldnt have been done.
The dog was simply protecting itself from someone who was hurting him.