Dead "live" sand.

jay0705

Ok folks when i put the sand in my tank i noticed one of my bags was live sand. I've had the bag over a yr. Thoughts on what ever was in that sand causing an ammonia spike?

iidylii

Are you saying it is or asking if it will lol...do they have an expiration date? I dont know if that maybe what your asking also if u think it's no good anymore?

jay0705

Lol asking. I have an ammonia spike in the new tank. Iam trying to fig out the cause. There is no die off on my live rock, i moved it a whole 3 ft lol. I had the one dead molly but i would think the 30lbs of live rock i have moved so far would have off set that. Then my old bag of live sand i used which was labled as live but totally dry came to me as a possible cause

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds very likely. I've never noticed an exp. date on LS bags, but bacteria generally isn't going to live forever without feeding.

lmforbis

It was probably mixed with the regular when you bought it. If it was dry it was not live anymore. Livesand is wet.

jay0705

I've had it over a yr imforbis. The cats did have a few holes in the bag. Little bastards lol so my guess it dried up over the time. I had the tank, sand, ect for a yr and a half. Just waited for my dad to finish up the stand lol

2quills

Could be a combination of that sand and possible die off from the rock if nutrient levels are much lower in the new tank. The algae and critters may not be drying but some of the bacteria might.

jay0705

Ah good point. Well once it comes down I'll add more rock and then after a day if she holds the fish. I took the molly out, i like sailfins and i wanted him to make. So i put him in one of my other tanks.