Diamondback Goby new disappeared

Z

ziggy_impy

I recently got a diamondback goby. The first day i got it, it sifted through the sand just like it was doing on the store. the next day i got up and hes gone. i have not seen it for 4 days now. i was wondering if they hide when they are new to a tank, or did it die under a rock or something? i was just concerned that i have not seen it. thanks

reefiness

Yes, Diamondback Gobies do indeed hide. These actually create a burrow in the sand which they will sleep in at night as well as go to whenever they feel threatened. Although 4 days does sound a little long to me, there could be a possibility that the fish is still acclimating and may be in his burrow often. Also when I had first gotten my Diamondback, I remember as I would walk over, he would dart back to his burrow probably feeling the vibrations of my foot steps, so there is also a possibility that this is the case.

oniel21

Do a search on here for Diamond Gobies. You'll find that this is common for them. Give him some time, maybe a week or two. If you don't see him then, maybe it's time to worry. Have you been testing your water since you got him?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ziggy_impy
I recently got a diamondback goby. The first day i got it, it sifted through the sand just like it was doing on the store. the next day i got up and hes gone. i have not seen it for 4 days now. i was wondering if they hide when they are new to a tank, or did it die under a rock or something? i was just concerned that i have not seen it. thanks
Welcome to the boards! Have you checked your floor? They are well known jumpers. I sincerely hope that he didn't jump, but look around. They do hide though.

Z

ziggy_impy

thank you everyone for your help! i will have to check behind the tank but i sure hope he's not there! i tested mt water and everything seems alright.

reefer545

Many times a diamond goby will make his layer facing the back of the tank or out of sight under the rockwork, side of a tank, etc. They do tend to stay in there for long periods too. I lucked out and mine made his layer front and center. I can even see his eyes peering out at night, but for many their goby is out of sight. I bet it has just made a layer out of sight. Keep an eye out for it though. Good luck.

miaheatlvr

When I fist dropped in my Diamond Goby, I didnt see him for 10 days...I thought he died and was absorbed by my cleaning crew.. but alas 10 days later he made his appearance..

scotts

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Welcome to the boards! Have you checked your floor? They are well known jumpers. I sincerely hope that he didn't jump, but look around. They do hide though.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Also if you have other pets like cats or dogs, you may never know what happened. I only found half of my diamond goby when I stepped on it.
I hope yours is just hiding.
Scott

check your overflow.and your sump..found my DG missing one day and searched for hours...then i looked in the over flow and there he was...looking up at me..waving!!
hope ya find him

Z

ziggy_impy

I found him dried up behind my tank :( i now am making a hood for my tank with a top. once finished i plan on getting a new goby, cuz that little guy was so cool for the time i had him! thanks all.

big

Originally Posted by ziggy_impy
I found him dried up behind my tank :( i now am making a hood for my tank with a top. once finished i plan on getting a new goby, cuz that little guy was so cool for the time i had him! thanks all.

Ohhh so sorry!
WELCOME TO THE BOARDS TOO!
But as to having a "Rotor Tiller" fish, eggcrate the tank, plan on him eating all you pods and rearranging all the substrate on a regular basis. Also any new frag in his area seems to get covered up quickly!. I KNOW THAT IS WHAT HE IS THING IN THIS SHOT.," is he looking at me, can I bury it yet??"
.. Here is my Rotor tiller showing his "tiller tines" just to remember your little guy by! Heck this one is now about 6 or 7 inches long!!..............Warren

drewchyi

i havent seen mine for 3 weeks now and i only have a 34 gallon cube. I acclimated him for 3 hours, placed him in my tank and left for work....never saw him again. he was such a pretty fish too.

sepulatian

I found mine on the floor, cats had rolled him around a bit. He was in a tank with one fish and no need to jump. He had his own caves and was not harassed at all, but he jumped through a very small opening in the back of the tank. RIP Mr. Goby!

leftyblite

Just got mine about 3 days ago. Haven't seen him since. The only way I know it is still around is the sand near the back of the tank appears to be getting higher in certain areas every day. I figure he is just making some caves for himself to feel comfortable.

sepulatian

My goby spent a month and a half in QT. When he went into the display he was not shy. He dug his cave under a rock that already had a cave shape to it. He dug several others. He was always the first out for food. He was even out before Sir. Quizz! That is saying something. Then I didn't see him for a few days. I found him on the floor all rolled around, I have all wood floors. The cats played with him. He must have jumped when I was not home. I saw him very active and eager to eat, then he was nowhere to be found. No ryme or reason for it. He just jumped.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by leftyblite
Also I dropped a couple of mysis shrimp near the piles and about an hour later they have mysteriously disappeared.
I sure hope that he is under there, but it could be your inverts eating it. The flow doesn't blow it away? Mysis is very light.

t316

Good thread. I really want this fish, but don't like what I'm finding out about him. Is there a close relative, another type of goby, that sifts the sand in a similar manner, but doesn't cause so many problems?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by T316
Good thread. I really want this fish, but don't like what I'm finding out about him. Is there a close relative, another type of goby, that sifts the sand in a similar manner, but doesn't cause so many problems?
You don't want a sand sifting goby anyway. They eat all of the microfauna in your sand. They basically strip it down to dead (live in bacteria)sand. Buy inverts that will just eat detris.