Digging

splashed

My maroon clown is digging in the sand, but only since I have introduced a Royal Gramma. I did a search and it seems that this can be some kind of mating ritual - but the only other fish is the RG :) Also, it was saying that the males do this. Is this true? Is there any way to tell if you have a male or a female?
TY
(I found this NEW Clownfish area and thought Id try it out!)

nm reef

I'm not sure that clowns digging in the sand is associated with mating...I once kept a tomato that would constantly dig and rearrange the sand bed...its a common activity with some clowns. As for determining the --- of clowns...well that depends on the clown and is often subject to change. In most cases if there are pairs the dominate one is female and the passive is male...but both can change if another of the same species is added.:thinking:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can they change after they are mature? For instance, lets say that you have 2 clowns for several yrs in the same tank and they are male and female. The female is then removed [cruel I know! But this is just hypothetical!]. Will the male now become a female? :thinking:

standish

From what I understand, a male CAN then turn female. Once it is a female though, it cannot change back to male.
And yes, clowns dig! Mine are making new holes all the time. They've even moved a few smaller rocks around.

ecook

Yes, if the female is removed the male becomes female and then the dominant juvenile becomes the male (note that the juv will not become the female, because he is lower in the pecking order than the male and the female is always the dominant one.)
And standish is right.....all are born male and they can turn to female when necessary....but they cannot turn back.
Some fish dig. My black ocellaris don't, but my female akindynos has about half her tank barebottom now. Oh well, whatever. lol I just want put any sand dwellers in her tank.

rbmount

My maroon keeps the sand brushed away from her host all the time, she can really kick up a cloud.