dippin coral

1guydude

I just bought a purple lord acan and a chalice i believe! (thxs jerth) lol
Now do i dip it in RO before putting in my DT or just temp acclimate and throw it right in?
Thxs
devin

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/387278/need-quick-response#post_3406420
I just bought a purple lord acan and a chalice i believe! (thxs jerth) lol
Now do i dip it in RO before putting in my DT or just temp acclimate and throw it right in?
Thxs
devin
all of you guys on here are just teasing me with getting all this new stuff. lol
Just because all of you know I just set up the tank and have a few weeks to go until I can put stuff in it. LOL I JUST WANT IT CYCLED ALREADY!!!!

tangs rule

I dip in an iodine solution, I think btld dips in melafix? maybe - I read a post from her somewhere and I think that;s what they use. I'd not just acclimate and throw in if possible.

1guydude

well i should have bought some aquavitro iodine solution stuff well i was their!...u think i could get away with just dippin it in RO?....
ive been meaning to get some revive or coralRx!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/387278/need-quick-response#post_3406433
well i should have bought some aquavitro iodine solution stuff well i was their!...u think i could get away with just dippin it in RO?....
ive been meaning to get some revive or coralRx!
wow, I;ve never RO dipped, but if you've done it before......????? I've heard an RO dip is kinda hard on some corals. For sure - i'd get something in the future and get familiar with it....I'd also REALLY inspect them for flatworms/bugs/the usual coral suspects (got a 10x magnifying glass?) - BEFORE dumping into the dt.

1guydude

ya ive done it before but mostly on zoos/paly/shrooms...i dont think the acros i did it on liked it but they are making a full recovery in a club members tank!
Just worried about doin it here cuz they are stony!
no i dont have a magnifying glass....guess i need one of those as well lol!
Wish me luck!

S

siptang

I have 35x jeweler's scope, I will use that next time I buy a coral. (this sunday lol)

jerth6932

Sorry bro...... I know how addicting this can be! I am now just waiting to see what you came up with!!!!!

1guydude

its all good man lol! You kinda where just the tip of the mountain before it fell over!
I got 7 heads i think of purple lord acan and a chalice thats like 2"x2"
the store called the chalice a favia and had it in the ass. favia section! Ill post some pics later today when i get home!
Hopefully everythings fine....sometimes i worry when im at work and i have something new in the tank!

btldreef

Only did zoas and palys in RO. It's way to harsh on other corals.
I do dip SPS in Melafix. I dip LPS with iodine. For acans and some others, I use a lower dose of iodine than is recommended. Whether Melafix or Iodine, it gets mixed with water from the tank.
For what it's worth, you don't have to spend the extra money for "coral iodine". Iodine is iodine. Buy a bottle from your local pharmacy.

btldreef

By the way, do a slow acclimation to your lights if you're putting these under your LEDs. Both chalice and acans can easily fry under the intensity of direct light from a good LED bulb/fixture.

1guydude

Quote:
Iodine is iodine. Buy a bottle from your local pharmacy
Really? Great tip thxs! Wallgreens is way closer than the fish store!
I could use iodine on sps as well? U use the tank water or the water they come in from the bag? I dont have my beautiful RO/DI set up yet....ive got to order some stuff from theyre site (air,water, and ice)

btldreef

btw how much iodine are we talkin here? couple drops per gallon?
Try to look for Povidone (it's iodine, but less harsh/easier on corals). Most drug stores sell a store brand of it. I usually drip acclimate the corals to the tank water and then dose the bucket. I start with 1/2 teaspoon iodine for 1 gallon. Some iodines, such as Tincture come with a dropper. The most often recommended dosage is 20 drops per 1/2 - 3/4 gallon. You can usually buy a little eye dropper from the pharmacy if you like the droplet method of measuring better. Honestly, I do not do exact measurements anymore, it's really a guesstimate. As for Melafix, usually even places like ***** carry it in the fish section.