Disease or wound

SamIam89

Hi I just started putting fish in my tank, I got a coral beauty yesterday 24 hrs ago, and now it's either hurt or got a disease. Not sure which as I am new to this but this wasn't on her 24 hrs ago, only other things in my tank are 2 emerald crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, a flame hawk, very tiny blue velvet damesl and a file fish, she has been rubbing on rocks which some many have sharp points, any ideas need help asap, what do I do / need If it's a disease and what I néed if a wound?

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is definitely an injury. Very likely aggression. You would need to observe your fish tank to see who may be the aggressor if you want to find that out but that wound looks significant so I'd not want to keep subjecting the coral beauty to mistreatment. The best option would be to move the injured fish to a quarantine tank, but I'm assuming from your post that you don't use one. If you can locate a divider or an in-tank isolation container you can separate the fish in your tank and hope he will heal up. It looks like you were netting and handling to take a pic of the fish which really is a bad idea. Nets and handling cause injury and disease to fish. Best way to entrap fish is to corral them into a container with water. Never handle nor net.

I'm placing this link here as an example of the isolation tank in case you're not familiar. And here for the tank divider. There are many varieties to this, some are plastic containers which I prefer for your purpose. For the divider you'll need to get one that fits your tank.

Long term, I'd recommend setting up a quarantine tank and use it to isolate your fish for at least 3 weeks prior to adding new fish to aquara. Maintaining a quarantine will result in avoiding many fish issues and you'd have a ready isolation in situations like this as well.