do cleaner shrimp have a taste for clams?

peckhead

i heard today that cleaners could eat clams? i have a crocea in particular and 2 cleaners. i put the clam in yesterday and today the shrimps were on it all day but it doesnt like any damage was done. is this unheard of?

peckhead

its like the shrimp is trying to get inside the clam and the clam keeps closing but not totally and the shrimp is like prying into the clam then it closes and repeat...

miaheatlvr

I have read they like to pick at the clam mantles sometimes.. almost to the point to stressing the clam but not to kill it.. You might have to get rid of the CS..

peckhead

which part is the mantle? it is picking at the clam, the blue part, not the shell. the clam wont fully open an the shrimp wont get off of it

peckhead

so basically, i have to choose shrimp or clam? does everyone have this problem?
will an emerald crab or coral banded, blood shrimp, or blue leg hermits bother this clam?

teen

the mantle is the colorful part.
ive never had a problem with CS picking on any of my clams. he would crawl over them occasionally at night, but only picking stuff off the shells like YosemiteSam said.
i would ditch the CS. if anything, you can buy new ones that hopefully wont pick.

amanda46051

I have seen a few tanks with cleaners and clams in them and they were fine but with everything saltwater you are always taking a chance nothing is a forsure bet. Atleast that is what it seems like to me.

peckhead

do you guys think i should leave them for another day or so and see if they keep it up? it has been going on pretty much nonstop for the last day since i put the clam in.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by peckhead
do you guys think i should leave them for another day or so and see if they keep it up? it has been going on pretty much nonstop for the last day since i put the clam in.
That's a tough call... if the clam isn't fully opening then there is an issue.
Was the clam healthy when you got it? (did it react quickly by closing when you moved your hand over it?)
The shrimp may be picking at food in the clam, or picking at dead tissue, or it may like fresh clam.... Shrimps can be opportunistic just like crabs and other inverts.
If the shrimp won't let the clam open you're going to have to choose one or the other.

nycbob

i got a derasa about 4 months ago that didnt make it after my cleaners kept picking at it. after 2 days, the derasa died. i started getting clams again couple of weeks ago, but my shrimps havent bother them one bit. my guess is the clam i got 4 months ago wasnt healthy, so the shrimps were basically eating him alive.

peckhead

ok, the shrimp have left it alone for a little bit today, and it was open like normal.
my new questions are...
1. what are the holes in the mantle? are they the mouth?
2. how many should there be? i have 2 and one is pretty big and i can see all the way through to the sand, and the other one is smaller and i can see inside the clam a little bit. is this normal or did the shrimp eat the mantle

peckhead

the bigger hole is to the left and i can see through the side of the clam(where both shells spread open) to the sand

paintballer768

Theres a clam diagram in this .pdf I just found on google. It has alot of other off topic information because its about lagoon farming for giant clams (Tridacnidae).
Credits to Simon Ellis, the College of Micronesia, and whoever else helped create this. The diagram is on the first page.
http://govdocs.aquake.org/cgi/reprin...26/5260080.pdf
This isnt a competitors site so I hope its acceptable. My appologies if it isnt.

peckhead

ok, the incurrent siphon looked pretty big, and i can look into it, and see the sand on the floors of my tank through the side of the clam shell. is this normal or does my description suck

teen

sounds like your clam may be gapping. which would be a bad thing. cant be 100% sure without a picture though.
do a google search. there isnt really much you can do for it IME. removing those shrimp would probably be your best bet though.

peckhead

i think it is gapping. on the one side, there is no tissue between the two shell, from the mantel to the bottom of the shell. what if anything can i do?? will it grow back ever? i will get rid of the shrimp.

1journeyman

Hang in there, watch water parameters, and possibly sacrifice a young goat to Neptune....
It sounds like your clam wasn't healthy when you got it (so the shrimp might actually have been trying to help).

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by peckhead
i think it is gapping. on the one side, there is no tissue between the two shell, from the mantel to the bottom of the shell. what if anything can i do?? will it grow back ever? i will get rid of the shrimp.

It's completely separated? The wide area at the bottom of the clam is called they byssal opening, and it is where the foot and byssal threads come out. This can be open if the clam is gaping, but make sure the area isn't torn.
Where did you get the clam?

peckhead

there is no tissue starting at the bottom of the mantle, down to the bottom of the bottom of the foot. the mantle looks ok, the foot and bottom looks ok. the gap is on the side of the clam. there is normally some tissue there that connects the 2 shells together. but that isnt there on one side so when the clam opens up, i can see into the syphon and out through the side(not the bottom) of the clam, between the 2 shells. does this make sense? i will try to get a picture but they werent doing the justice before when i tried