Do seahorses breed all year

chrysalis253

I'm interested in breeding dwarf and lined seahorses (H zosterae and H erectus) and wanted to know if it is possible to breed them year round. In the wild they typically breed from March/April though October but since I've seen young year-round I wanted to know if there were special issues related to this type of culture. I've breed tropicals for years and while these are new species to me I'm up on the literature but can't find anything on the culture breeding cycles. Thanks in advance for any information on this.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis253 http:///t/396516/do-seahorses-breed-all-year#post_3533055
I'm interested in breeding dwarf and lined seahorses (H zosterae and H erectus) and wanted to know if it is possible to breed them year round. In the wild they typically breed from March/April though October but since I've seen young year-round I wanted to know if there were special issues related to this type of culture. I've breed tropicals for years and while these are new species to me I'm up on the literature but can't find anything on the culture breeding cycles. Thanks in advance for any information on this.

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

I never really paid much attention (since I don't keep the babies alive) but if memory serves, I think my Erectus and Kuda seahorses had babies year round. I don't know if being bred in captivity made a difference then what you might see in nature.

chrysalis253

Thanks for the reply Flower. I'm interested because in the literature it is noted that photoperiod appears more important in the breeding cycle than water temperature. I've modified photoperiod on occasion for different species and it can help to induce spawning but there is a down time with this. Cultured fish are definitely better than wild caught for numerous reasons so I really enjoy helping out through culture.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis253 http:///t/396516/do-seahorses-breed-all-year#post_3533065
Thanks for the reply Flower. I'm interested because in the literature it is noted that photoperiod appears more important in the breeding cycle than water temperature. I've modified photoperiod on occasion for different species and it can help to induce spawning but there is a down time with this. Cultured fish are definitely better than wild caught for numerous reasons so I really enjoy helping out through culture.

There is a site called seahorse.org, they may be able to help you more...all they deal with are seahorses. I go to them if I have any issues.