Durso

JH919

Hi guys,
I'm currently rethinking/redoing my overflow situation. I'm leaning towards the Durso standpipe method. My question is, how much airline tubing is placed inside and outside of the pipe? Thanks folks.

2quills

Outside doesn't matter. Inside just depends. As deep as it takes to find the sweet spot.

2quills

Anything that allows air to pass through it will do.

Is it having trouble draining? A durso won't necessarily make the drain more quiet.

JH919

Anything that allows air to pass through it will do.

Is it having trouble draining? A durso won't necessarily make the drain more quiet.
I currently have a simple CPR internal overflow box with a 1" bulkhead going into a 90 degree elbow, into a ball valve, then down to the sump. It's relatively quiet if I choke off the flow ever so slightly to keep the bulkhead opening submerged. Seems like the Durso method is popular for some reason (better flow and more silent?) Will see :)

2quills

I've toyed around with the durso design. The only way I found that made the noise acceptable (to me) was doing what you've done by adding a valve but I wasn't crazy about the idea of restricting the only drain like that so I went with a herbie design. Let me know how it works out for ya.

lmforbis

I've done what 2quills did and restricted the flow. In my old 125 it made me nervous, I did have a snail get stuck once. I had 2 overflows but the tank water level still rose. In my new build I replaced one of my returns with an emergency overflow. It normally is all the way out of the water but if the flow were to be restricted by something and the water rose it would go down the emergency instead of flooding my house.

2quills

Yep.

I'm not sure which model of CPR overflow you have but if there's any extra room you could drill it and add another bulk head. Turn one drain into a full siphon and the other can be used as the back up.

A full siphon is going to be the quietest drain period. Much better than your typical durso.

one-fish

Since we taking overflows here is what I have done http://www.evillabs.net/index.php/Super_Sucking_Siphon Built 2 ea installed in back corners. I have done a few mods but basically same design. If done again have better design as I did over estimated the gph rate I thought I would get Its very noisy as well good thing it's I my spare room Not saying build this it's just what I did..

JH919

Thanks for all the input guys. I did think about a second bulk head, but I have the tank up and running nicely (minus the slightly annoying rushing water sounds coming out of the bulk head, going into the t-connection). At least I'm not getting the loud gurgling anymore. Anyone use a sound deadening material around the plumbing? Just curious :)

lmforbis

My plumbing goes to my basement. The pipes come out of my stand and go through a wall into a closet (I didn't want to drill into my wood floors). There was a lot of noise from the water going through the pipes. I boxed them in with a plywood cover. It works OK but I have considered lining that with rigid foam to quiet it even more.

JH919

One last question guys (I promise...lol). What if I replaced the ribbed flex tube that came with my Eshopps sump with glued pvc? (as far as better/quieter flow). Thanks!

2quills

It won't make a huge difference but if you can eliminate any pvc elbows by running strait flex tubing it will help cut down on noise a little bit.