Eating Live sea urchins

rlablan

I think it's ridiculous for you to say it's ridiculous for me to be upset. Obviously, you were never taught right and wrong either. You were obviously also not taught to read everything all the way through before commenting on it. If you realized what it was I was ACTUALLY talking about, you would have no room to say it's ridiculous.
I think you're ridiculous.

rlablan

Coral keeper, He was saying that if that were his kid who got kidnapped, he would do somethings to the guy who took his kid that would get him jail time.
Really people... read theWHOLE thread please before commenting.
I think it's wrong.
It's not because the urchin got eaten. It's because of the guys attitude. What don't you guys get about that???
Don't take your dog to china. They will do the same thing to it there and then you'll understand what I am saying. Eating animals like that is a delicacy there too.... Just sayin...
It's just the kids attitude... that is the base of this thread.
If you don't think its wrong, then don't comment. This thread was originally intended to restore my faith that there were some people out there that still know right from wrong and how to have respect for things that were given and not just take advantage of creatures who are small and meek AND THEN have a crappy attitude about it too.
I was basically calling out to vent and help talk about some underlying issues with this video and the attitude of this kid.
It's really awesome that you think that there is nothing wrong, more power to you.

naclfish

I understand what your saying with the whole thing. Remember when that tape of the cows came out when they were getting pulled by a fork lift to slaughter and such. There was a huge public out cry and people were pissed 97% of them had beef that same night. I eat beef,pork,chicken,fish and anything else and i dont feel bad about it. But all these things need to be killed to reach the market in a neat little wrapping. And that does not bother me either.Yet there should be at least a little respect for an animals who's life has been taken to become my meal and they should be treated accordingly. ie not made to suffer any more than they must.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3125605
I just read a whole article explaining the ins and outs of sea urchins. I have one and they are amazing creatures. I think all animals are amazing and great things given to us to appreciate and yes, in some cases, eat them. There are so many great actions performed by animals on this earth it is ridiculous. They are what really keeps this planet going, with no help from us. This leads me to my next point...
I am looking into getting a tuxedo urchin for my reef tank and looked on you tube about them. The only videos that I could really find..."eating live sea urchin."
I watched about 20 seconds of this, before my insides started to squirm and my heart started to break. I saw people picking urchins off of the coast at the beach, and cutting them open with scissors!!! What the heck?!?! Isn't someone stopping this?? There were MANY videos out there of people talking about eating urchins. ALIVE! That is a horrible horrible thing. There were comments there about people saying "I have eaten them at fish markets. It is a nice effect to use the urchin as a bowl and see the spines moving around while you eat him." WHAT THE HELL KIND OF NONSENSE IS THAT? I after reading many comments like this, I did not see one person as saying this was inhumane or a terrible or cruel.
Urchins are terribly misunderstood, and their species as a whole is a truly great and wonderful thing. They do many things for out oceans and planets as a whole that I never know about. They are one of the things that actually keep our coral reefs thriving, though most people believe them to not be reef safe. I think the real things that are not reef safe, a ignorant guys in bright green polo t-shirts, with douche bag hair cuts.
I hope that if reincarnation does exist, that guy comes back as an urchin, and an urchin comes back as a human, and cuts his head off, and watches him squirm. What a jerk. I am not against eating meat, or sea food, or anything like that, but I am against cruelty to animals, especially when you pull them out of their environment for a snack at the beach.
What would this guy think if I walked into his house, took the leg off of his dog, and then began to eat it, and watch it squirm. If I WERE going to do that, I would have the decency to shoot it in the head first. (Not that I would ever shoot a dog, don't misunderstand me.)
People like this ought to be ashamed. Where is your mother. If that were my kid, I would do some bad things that would probably get me some jail time.

the video that caused the uproar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Kkb...eature=related
A great article for an marine aquarist:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/index.php

Originally Posted by rlablan

http:///forum/post/3132316
Coral keeper, He was saying that if that were his kid who got kidnapped, he would do somethings to the guy who took his kid that would get him jail time.
Who is "he"? I quoted YOU. Please, show me something about someone kidnapping in the quote above, please point it out as I fail to see it.

coral keeper

louti

Okay so if we don't agree with your point of view, we shouldn't comment? That's open minded. How does my comment not pertain to the WHOLE thread, which I read. I kill animals for food all the time. I don't take joy in the killing, and I don't see how this guy does either. And, as previously stated, urchins are a basic life-form with very limited pain receptors. When people like you try to attribute human feelings and emotions to lower life-forms like fish and sea urchins you are being ridiculous.

Ok, I'll bite and put in my two cents here. I watched the video and personally I did not feel that the guy in the green shirt had an attitude problem. Was it the guy who was filming that you had a problem with? Is it his accent? I'm not sure because the guy in the green shirt did not say much except here is the mouth, cut off the head, wash it in water, scrape it out. Demonstration video that I would have no problem showing in a college biology class. I'm not saying that I condone eating sea urchin raw because I don't enjoy it personally and would not do it. I just don't see anything wrong with the way this guy did it. As for the taking your dog to China comment... that could be a little offensive to some people. You are assuming that all Chinese people inhumanly kill their dogs and eat them.

mud1059

Wow, seriously? That pissed you off? I hate what Americans have turned into. Such a shame, really. While in stationed in Japan we did this on a regular basis between dives. To include spearfishing. We decapitate them and eat them while they're reflexes still had them twitching. Absolutely normal (It wasn't to me at first, though) Lastly, did you know crabs and lobsters are boiled alive? You're a joke.

happyfeet

I’ll chime in here, I’m a big enjoyer of food in general. I’ve eaten a lot of different things and have a lot more things on my list to eat. While I’ve eaten Urchin it wasn’t my favorite thing in the world to eat, texture issue. My favorite quote so far has been “They are eating with malicious intent” (rlblan) seriously that cracked me up, I had a mental image of some crazy haired guy with crazy eyes punching a pony and taking a bite out of its hocks.
How many nature shows have you watched where an urchin gets flipped upside down and torn apart piece by piece as another organism consumes it? Its nature it’s not with a malicious intent.
I’m surprised you stopped with urchin, an organism with few sensory organs and an underdeveloped nervous system. They don’t really feel in the way you understand feeling. The best comparison would be all of a sudden you were aware you no longer had a foot because you stepped and fell and you’re looking at the ground. You don’t feel the pain of the foot being done you don’t feel the pain of the fall, your brain tells you something is wrong because your looking at the ground. What about other animals around the world that have met a much worse end than the poor little urchin who lived his life on the reef.
Other countries eat stuff that makes your stomach turn simply because you weren’t raised there and you don’t understand it. I’ve traveled all over and two of my favorite meats to eat are Dog and Horse, they are absolutely fantastic. I remember someone mentioning that guinea pig is not for eating, well it got its name because it cost a guinea to eat and it sustained many families for a very long time. Guinea pig is actually not very tasty either, I was a little disappointed.
I see you liked Seafood too, it doesn’t bother you that the fish slowly suffocate to death waiting to have their heads cut off and gutted? What about Crab, boiled alive while they slowly die? I remember as a kid we used to take an axe and cut the heads off a couple chickens and race them, called it the Headless Chicken Run, was a lot of fun as a child. (Before I get flamed for this, the only thing we did differently than other people who butcher chickens is we let them run around instead of sticking a hook through them and hanging them upside down.)
I don’t mean to be mean, but it’s this sort of ignorance that just kind of annoys me.

uhh, i kinda would like to comment on the " dont take your dog to china" comment, ive been in china about one year and i still havent seen any dog meat. i know it exists somewhere, but to say that is offensive to chinese people. my chinese friends here all have never eaten dog or cat or any other "pet" and when it is mentioned to them they react with disgust. the only thing here i think is truely cruel is the treatment of turtles
here at the supermarket you can find poor mud turtles alive and put in tight mesh net so they cant move with a price tag speared thru their back, and every so often an attendant comes by and spritzes them with water. and this isnt just the chinese, this is allowed by western companies, carrefour in china has it, so does the german metro and the french auchan. they all allow their stores to be stocked with live netted turtles.

... makes me wonder if you would eat sushi? its basically the same thing! or a cow! you must be a veggie head... not here to busted your thread but people delight on anything and everything we are only human! and where i live there is a big demand on conch friders yummmmmmmmmmmmmy

deon nyc

i love nature and all animals. but i ate and will eat anything. i ate turtle urchins, oisters, and even iguans. i was raised in southamerica and live in NYC today i have to return home or go on vacation to enjoy some of the stranger meats i ate.. but you have to try them. as for them being alive onve u cut them in half they will die it is just a curel looking way to die.

hunt

I live in michigan and i love animals and all, but i hunt and fish quite often. Its not like they die for no pupose. We eat what we can of what we kill. If people didnt hunt in michigan the deer would be way over populated. Dont think a few hunters will matter, go out to a rural area around 7:00am on november 15 you will hear too many gun shots to count.(this applies to michigan since hunting laws vary from state to state.) I love hunting and i will probably keep hunting for the rest of my life.

garick

I also want to point out that if you go anywhere that an animal is capable and able to hunt humans. You can be rest assured that it will eat you alive. Tigers, bears, panthers, jaguar. Any big cat or big animal can and will eat a human alive with no remorse, including sharks.
Its not about whats humane since life really isnt humane. Its that you respect the lives of the animals you take and eat. Appreciate the sacrifice, thats being human. don't count on that shark or that lion to appreciate your death, but it will certainly appreciate its full stomach.