Effervescent Tablets Clean Aquarium Parts VERY Well!

merredeth

Well, for years I have been using denture effervescent tablets to clean anything and everything small.
Vases - stick a couple in it with hot water and all the gunk from old flowers disintergrates with the power of the effervescence and is washed away easily.
What coffee stains in my mugs? An effervscent tablet takes them away in minutes.
Hard water stains? Not in my glasswares.
I've cleaned just about anything you can imagine with them. For $1.00 at the nearest dollar store, I've cleaned the inside tanks of toilets - you name it, something at one time or another has been cleaned with them.
So, you can imagine, when I went to clean a pump what I did.
Took the pump out of the tank and put it in water with some tablets.
In about half an hour totally clean and no problems. I then rinsed it well and decided to use it on the inside of a skimmer I was taking out of retirement.
I decided to let the tablets and water soak in the skimmer for about 20 minutes and rinsed it well. I then hooked up the pump and the skimmer and ran regular water through it for a few minutes and popped it into my aquarium.
No problems and everyone seems to be doing fine.
Because I rinsed everything well, I cannot see any reason my tank critters or corals will suffer by doing this.
Talk about an easy way to get rid of gunk in crevices that you can't get to with a brush or a cloth. It worked wonders!
While it didn't take off old and dead correline everything looks great! If you do like I did and rinse very well there was virtually no elbow grease involved.
Just throught I would share the tip with all of you guys.
Denise M.

xdave

Yep, they work well. Very handy to clean a power head without even having to take it apart. I suggest using, as you did, the cheap generic ones from the dollar store. They don't have additives like mouthwash or stain fighters.

merredeth

The ones from a dollar store are the only ones I use.
Around my house, it seems even my husband has found uses for the cheap tablets in his playroom. He uses then to clean up small pieces of equipment or tools he uses in our home nightclub.
It is also a great way to clean out hairbrushes, tank brushes and tank sponges.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by chub
Are you still the FD area? any good SW lfs there?
Yeah, still in the area. Animal Oasis is still the only place in FTD. Pet Kingdom in Algona carries very little satwater and is way overpriced.
If it wasn't for online ordering and Animal Oasis I'd be f'ed.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by solarscar
you have a home nightclub?
Yes, we have one in our home - literally.

My husband and I owned the largest sound and light show in Iowa up until a few years ago. When we sold it we found we missed playing with the toys. So, we built one into the home. The kids in the area love coming to our home where "louder is better" and we host a lot of parties for our teenaged daughter and niece.
In the summer we have the in ground pool to entertain everyone and in the fall and winter months, we have the nightclub also known as "AJ's Playroom."
Denise M.