Emperor Angel

jasonkennay

I am wondering why I can't keep an Emperor Angel alive in my tank? I have a 220 Fish only tank. Every other fish I have added to the tank has done fine. Yet I can't seem to get an Emperor to stay alive. Of course its my daughter's favorite fish, so I have tried 3 different times now. But I can never get it to eat, and it last about 5 days, and then dies. This obsession to keep a fish my daughter like is getting expensive. Any thoughts on ways I can keep him alive or things I need to do better. Thanks

lmforbis

I’d look for a different dealer. Quarantine the fish until it is eating well then add to your tank. It is possible there is already a pathogen in your tank, if you haven’t been quarantining your fish. This pathogen may be taking out the angels.

jasonkennay

I’d look for a different dealer. Quarantine the fish until it is eating well then add to your tank. It is possible there is already a pathogen in your tank, if you haven’t been quarantining your fish. This pathogen may be taking out the angels.
Even if I have bought all my other fish from the same guy, and the queen angle seems to be doing great?

lmforbis

Yep. Some fish have more resistance to disease than others. If I were You, being an aquarist with expensive fish’ I would certainly quarantine everything. It only takes one fish with a disease to kill off a whole tank. Personally I feel all should quarantine even if all they have is low end fish.
Quarantine is for observation not just for disease but also to make sure the fish is behaving normally and to allow it to begin eating in an environment where there is minimal stress from other fish, especially since you have other angels.

jasonkennay

Yep. Some fish have more resistance to disease than others. If I were You, being an aquarist with expensive fish’ I would certainly quarantine everything. It only takes one fish with a disease to kill off a whole tank. Personally I feel all should quarantine even if all they have is low end fish.
Quarantine is for observation not just for disease but also to make sure the fish is behaving normally and to allow it to begin eating in an environment where there is minimal stress from other fish, especially since you have other angels.
How long would you quarantine a fish for?