Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design#post_3490228

Thank you for getting it. LOL
This thread is picking up some speed now.
I will say (just like everyone else) that what a person believes is what they believe and that is what makes free countries great.
I myself believe that there is a god... Something had to start the Big Bang. Before it there was no time, matter, or energy. There is evidence in astronomy that shows how stars, planets, solar systems, and galaxies are created and how they are destroyed.
As for humans, I believe that we did evolve from apes (and they evolved from something as well, so on and so forth all the way back). I believe that science has showed fossil records of the early hominids that clearly show an almost step by step progression of this process. This can all be corroborated with carbon dating of the fossil records to show that around 3-4 million years ago that apes started to walk upright. The process continues to Cro-Magnon and Homo sapien sapien.

Here is a link to Lucy's story from the Institute of Human Origins at Arizona State University.
http://iho.asu.edu/lucy
If anyone is interested in reading up on Lucy.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design#post_3490251
I believe as I believe and you believe as you believe this what this great nation is all about. Classes about science fact should teach science facts, classes about religion should teach religious beliefs and it up to the child and parents to decided what the child takes as a course, they both should be offered in schools. I only have one question, if we evolved why did it stop, were is evolution today?
There is absolutely NO WAY I would want any of my tax dollars going to fund public schools teaching anything at all about religion. I dont believe in any of it and think that the bible and concept of a god were created by man to explain things that they didnt have the knowledge to explain at the time. You want your kids to learn religion, take them to church, synagogue, or whatever other house of worship you want.

darthtang aw

There is absolutely NO WAY I would want any of my tax dollars going to fund public schools teaching anything at all about religion.  I dont believe in any of it and think that the bible and concept of a god were created by man to explain things that they didnt have the knowledge to explain at the time.  You want your kids to learn religion, take them to church, synagogue, or whatever other house of worship you want.
No way i want my tax dollars going to fund anything supporting abortion....lol
your thought process is correct, the reasoning is wrong. You shouldn't want public school teaching anything about religion due to separation of church and state....Justr because you don't believe in it, that is not an option....Tax dollars go to where the government deems fit, not where you want them...lol.

mantisman51

Geologic periods(precambrian, jurassic, crataceous, etc.) of sediment are used to date fossils-fossils are used to date sediment-circular proof(bad science), how did James Hutton come up with his geologic scale? So before anyone tries to say Creation is nonsense, please give a scientific answer to these two questions: 1) How did James Hutton create the geologic scale? 2) How can fossils date sediment/rocks when sediments and rock are used to date fossils? Not so fast, the 5 leading evolutionary scientists have stated there is no answer to those questions, but they should be disregarded as the evidence doesn't need to support "good science". So the foundation of a theory can be made up, whole cloth, by James Hutton and then never have to be proven? Before you geniuses start spouting the crazy evolutionist lies and lines, be prepared, I never ask a question I don't already know the answer to AND that you don't know either.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design#post_3490251
I believe as I believe and you believe as you believe this what this great nation is all about. Classes about science fact should teach science facts, classes about religion should teach religious beliefs and it up to the child and parents to decided what the child takes as a course, they both should be offered in schools. I only have one question, if we evolved why did it stop, were is evolution today?
We are still evolving...
You may not be able to see it in your lifetime... but it's there.
Think about it... girls in the 1800s used to reach puberty at about 14 years old. Today the average is 10.
In the 1800s, men were on average 5'3" in height. Today the average is right around 5'8 - 5'9". We are getting taller as a species.
There is evidence of human evolution within the last two hundred years...

mantisman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/20#post_3490286
We are still evolving...
You may not be able to see it in your lifetime... but it's there.
Think about it... girls in the 1800s used to reach puberty at about 14 years old. Today the average is 10.
In the 1800s, men were on average 5'3" in height. Today the average is right around 5'8 - 5'9". We are getting taller as a species.
There is evidence of human evolution within the last two hundred years...
WRONG! And WRONGER! All growth in humans in the last 200 years has been clearly, and undeniably, linked to NUTRITION! The medical professionals here, who support(cough, cough) the science of evolution will obfuscate, but know this better than anyone else. Try again. I said in my last post, I never ask a question I don't have the answer to.

bang guy

I disagree. Some of it is antibiotics and a general understanding of cleanliness.
We may be still evolving but it will most likely take more than a few dozen generations. My gut feel is that with modern society we are actually devolving. The best of the best are reproducing at a lower rate while the less productive humans in society are reproducing faster. Reverse survival of the fittest.

darthtang aw

I disagree.  Some of it is antibiotics and a general understanding of cleanliness. 
We may be still evolving but it will most likely take more than a few dozen generations.  My gut feel is that with modern society we are actually devolving.  The best of the best are reproducing at a lower rate while the less productive humans in society are reproducing faster.  Reverse survival of the fittest.
when any species coddles the weak, the weak reinfect the gene pool.

snakeblitz33

You're right Bang,...
Smart people don't reproduce as quick or have as many kids as less productive people... Is it linked to our current system of welfare through our government? hmm.... (This may be a side topic, who knows)
By the way, Mantis, just pointing out... there is no such word as "Wronger."

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/20#post_3490259
Something had to start the Big Bang. Before it there was no time, matter, or energy.
There is evidence in astronomy that shows how stars, planets, solar systems, and galaxies are created and how they are destroyed.
1) the only possible scientific question is where did the big bang come from.
2) Again science does not believe (assume) that anything is ever created or destroyed. So it is not scientific to even ask the how is anything destroyed or created.
my .02

mantisman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/20#post_3490299
1) the only possible scientific question is where did the big bang come from.
2) Again science does not believe (assume) that anything is ever created or destroyed. So it is not scientific to even ask the how is anything destroyed or created.
my .02
Since there is no scientific way to accurately measure the age of the earth(even Hutton-the father of the 6.5 billion year old earth theory admitted he guessed), much less the universe, there is no way to know the answer to the first question. There is a reason it is still called Evolutionary THEORY. Secondly, since unconfirmed and untested, how un-scientific is it for evolutionists to continuously throw out a number as truth when NOTHING scientific supports it?

darthtang aw

Gravity is also a theory. Do you deny that gravity exists?
Gravity was a theory, it has been proven thus is no longer a theory.

snakeblitz33

Your wrong. Its been proven that when you Let go of an object, it will fall. The theory of gravity tries to explain why it fell. we really dont know for a fact what causes it
http://www.notjustatheory.com/

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design#post_3490238
LOL...The most accurate words ever spoken. It matches us all.
What do I believe....
I believe that as science matures and we learn more and more, it will match scripture, I have watched it do so. The problem is that 99% of the folks don't understand the scriptures, and by being so set on what they are so sure of, they make themselves look rediculous and nobody gives the scriptures the respect they deserve.
The big bang...Well who says God didn't start it off with a bang? As for the time frame...The sun and the Moon (our time keeper signs) were not created until the 4th day. So folks can't be stupid and claim the Earth is 6000 years old while it obviosly isn't. Insisting on that one thing, makes folks loose confidence in scripture for the truth it is.
LOL...I don't believe we came from apes. I do believe each creature of creation was created unique. Yes, each of the species has indeed changed as environment and some mix breeding (the mule for example) has occured thru time. Humans have indeed changed over the years, that's why we have so many different races of people...yet we are all the same on the inside. Neither do any people who study evolution believe that human beings came from apes. Evolutionary theory merely says that human beings and apes evolved from some common ancestor. Speciation does not arise from mixed breeding of some type, but rather most frequently by a gene and its product being repurposed to some other action. A good example of this is the recent work showing that the gene that allows mammals to taste hot spices, with minor modifications, becomes the gene that allows pit vipers to sense heat in the infra-red.
Should evolution be taught in school?...I don't care as long as they make sure the student UNDERSTANDS...science on evolution is a THEORY.
It is not based on any facts, it was an idea Darwin thought of....it is based on what they understand so far....that theory has shifted and changed as knowledge increases, even Darwin was ashamed of himself in the end for the damage it did causing people to stop believing in God. Folks took his theory and ran like idiots with it, just like the folks who found some twisted idea on a scripture and founded a new religion on it. Every science student should understand that evolution is a theory, but not "theory" as you use the term. In science, a theory is an time and experimentally tested explanation of a set of observations that has withstood intense efforts to disprove it, and for which there is a large body of supporting evidence. A theory cannot be proven, but in 150 years of extensive testing the theory of evolution has not only not been falsified by any experiment, but the accumulation of data consistent with the theory is literally stunning and overwhelming.
Religion has no place to be taught
in the schools, because each family has their own belief system that they follow. As a believer in the faith of Isreal, I don't want my kids doing the Christian holidays, or learning to pray to the different gods of the Hindus....no more than I can expect them to believe and follow my personal belief system. I also believe that each family according to THEIR faith should have the needed Holidays off (The work place too). Xmas means nothing to me, and I don't care if I had it off or not...Whan I worked, I needed Rosh Hashanah off, and had to use my vacation days to do so. Every year it's a battle with the schools to allow our kids to be off on the High Holidays. I agree. I recall that when i was in public school 4th grade (a very long time ago) I was forced every day to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and to say a Christian prayer. At the time I didn't understand the legal ramifications of this, but I was able to understand that there was something very wrong with my having to profess a faith that was not mine.
If the students of the same faith want to get together and have a praying pow-wow before of after school...fine! That should be allowed, it shouldn't be a big deal to let the kids get together, it's no different than a chess club meeting, but don't preach your beliefs to my kids...leave them alone.
There, I've said my piece.