Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

jerthunter

Although I wouldn't phrase it that way, I do understand how gender develops in humans. But that is just one of the odd thiings in human or animal development that doesn't seem to show much foresight in design.
Regarding the wonders we see, I agree the world is wonderful, but I find it more wonderful when we investigate and can come up with reasons it is one way or another.

geridoc

FWIW, in birds, they start as males, and some become females. And don't get me started on sex determination in wrasses:laughing:

pezenfuego

Have you ever read about a duck's corkscrew haahaa? Female ducks have corkscrew hoohoos as well. The interesting bit is that they don't fit together. One is clockwise and the other is anticlockwise (I can't for the life of me remember which is which). This makes it take longer for the male duck to [strike]cork[/strike]screw the female. Thus, the female has time to get away if the attention is not appreciated.
You think I'm making this up? I couldn't come up with anything that ridiculous if I tried.
Isn't science awesome?

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/740#post_3498277
Did you know that all male humans began as females? Did you know that every human male on Earth has a small vestigial uterus on the back abdominal wall? Design flaws... absolutely. However, how can you look around at the complexities of nature and not be in awe of it and think that there isn't something greater then yourself in the universe? Even if that thing has no consciousness that we can imagine.
Logical fallacy-personal incredulity. I love logical fallacies. It's like a superpower. You can use them when you know that you're wrong and point them out when you know that you're right. Win-win.
Also, as for the other portion of your post, I learned differently in anatomy. I learned that all fæ
tuses (because I spell things in the most pretentious way possible) begin as males. The testes descend into the abdomen and become ovaries. However, I think that the problem here is one of different interpretation. Neither of us being wrong. We all start out the same way anatomically would be a better way of phrasing that.

pezenfuego

An argument that is commonly made, but hasn't on here:

Point to the place on here where green ends and blue begins.
As an added challenge, where is magenta on this color spectrum?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZenfuego http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/760#post_3503492
An argument that is commonly made, but hasn't on here:

Point to the place on here where green ends and blue begins.
As an added challenge, where is magenta on this color spectrum?
Hi,
I have not been following, but why do you point out this color spectrum for the point on where blue and green meet or the color magenta? What argument was commonly made, but not brought up?

jerthunter

Hi,
I have not been following, but why do you point out this color spectrum for the point on where blue and green meet or the color magenta? What argument was commonly made, but not brought up?
I think the point is to show that is often ridiculous to ask someone to point to a specific point where something changes on a continuous scale. I.e. color in the above spectrum, or the point where a population changes from one species to another

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerthunter http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/760#post_3503691
I think the point is to show that is often ridiculous to ask someone to point to a specific point where something changes on a continuous scale. I.e. color in the above spectrum, or the point where a population changes from one species to another
LOL...Poor Pez, I never understand his pictures. Thank you, your explanation sounds reasonable enough...but if he gets on here and says you are wrong...I'm going to laugh.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, that was the point he was making. Just as the color lines are blurred in the spectrum, so are the defining changes in evolution.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/760#post_3503700
Nope, that was the point he was making. Just as the color lines are blurred in the spectrum, so are the defining changes in evolution.
LOL...I thought he was pointing out that that color prism was incorrect....between red and blue should be purple, between blue and yellow should be just green, not a weird glowing light blue. Between red and yellow should be orange....etc...etc... Blurred lines never occurred to me. However, the defining lines of change in evolution being blurred has been discussed....Pez stated that it wasn't??????

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392782/evolution-vs-intelligent-design/760#post_3503729
LOL...I thought he was pointing out that that color prism was incorrect....between red and blue should be purple, between blue and yellow should be just green, not a weird glowing light blue. Between red and yellow should be orange....etc...etc... Blurred lines never occurred to me. However, the defining lines of change in evolution being blurred has been discussed....Pez stated that it wasn't??????
I stated that the analogy of the color spectrum was not discussed. At least, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The thing with magenta is a completely unrelated story.

jerthunter

Just for fun, the color is blue right here (indicating spot of 475 nm light), and turns green here (indicating spot corresponding to 510 nm). Can't spot the magenta, but two out of three ain't bad right?