feeding a brain coral

btldreef

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3193494
My brain frequently looks like the picture, although not as big.
I realized in my first post I called my brain a wells, but it is actually a trach.
Must have been tired.
Tentacles come out sometimes during the day, but they are always fully out at night.
Tentacles come through the slits near the edges of the coral, the slit in the center is the mouth.
If I put a small piece of raw shrimp from the seafood counter on the coral, it closes over it day or night.
Even though mine is a Trach, I believe the Wells acts the same.
I've actually done a little research about the two names. They're the same coral. I am on my phone right now, i have the info stored on a home computer, and will post it later.
What kind of flow do you keep yours in?

truperc

Low flow. I will post some pics, over the next day or two.
Will try to show - daytime, nightime, and feeding.

btldreef

Okay, so finally back on my home computer. So, Trachyphyllia's and Wellsophyllia's are the same thing. Here's the confusion, the common name is Wellsophyllia, the scientific name is Trachyphyllia. Ex: A Wellsophyllia Brain Coral's scientific name is Trachyphyllia radiata.
Here's how another site explains the confusion: "The Wellsophyllia/Trachyphyllia Brain Coral is a Large Polyp Stony (LPS) coral, often referred to as the Pacific Rose Coral, or an Open Brain Coral. It is easily collected from the reef because when mature, they are not attached to the substrate. Therefore, it is often found washed up in the shallow water lying on the sand bed. It is found in varying shades of metallic green and can be recognized by its irregular round shape, deep valleys, and fused walls with numerous folds. These characteristics originally identified Wellsophyllia corals as separate from Trachyphyllia corals. This distinction is less commonly used now, and the Wellsophyllia Brain Coral is often referred to now as a Trachyphyllia radiata coral. "

truperc

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3194410
So, Trachyphyllia's and Wellsophyllia's are the same thing. Here's the confusion, the common name is Wellsophyllia, the scientific name is Trachyphyllia. Ex: A Wellsophyllia Brain Coral's scientific name is Trachyphyllia radiata.
Yes it is accurate that Wellsophyllia's are no longer distinguished from the genus Trachyphyllia.
However, people still commonly refer to Trachyphyllia radiata as Wellsophyllia (as you noted), and refer to Trachyphyllia geoffroyi as simply Trachyphyllia.
The species is the difference.

lastchoice

I think I have the same type of brain, but it was sold to me as an open brain which it does not look like.
I didn't see the tentacles on mine for awhile after I got it. I have had it for 3 months now and I see the feeding tentacles when I spray photoplex for the scallops or feed the fish. They also come out awhile after lights out and the brain shrinks up. I feed mine krill by hand. I put it into the tentacles when they are out. If I spray anything at it or leave anything on top of it the shrimp and crabs will steal it. I don't think it really needs food at all if it has light. I think the food is more for growth.
John