Feeding a dwarf yellow angel to eat

kwp

I just added a couple of fish to my 210 gallon fish only marine tank. The problem is that the yellow pygmy angel wont eat. I have offered formula two, dried seaweed, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp and frozen chopped clams and the angel shows no interest in eating. I have been keeping marine fish for several years and am not a novice. just reaching out to see if anyone has some suggestions. thanks

kwp

No, I didnt quarantine, but I did do a one hour bath with Paraguard per the bottle instructions. I have had good luck using this process with several other newly acquired fish. I know I should have a quarantine tank, but due to the size of my home and having a large 210 gallon tank, I simply dont have the room for a quarantine tank

lmforbis

There are a number of possibilities. I quarantine not just to prevent disease from getting into my tank but also to make sure the fish is eating well in an environment where there is no competition for the food. I really recomend getting a 10 gallon QT tank, simple sponge filter heater and a couple PVC elbows for hiding places. It doesn’t need to be up and going all the time. And takes up little space. Mine is currently set up on my dining room buffet waiting for a new fish to be delivered tomorrow. When I’m not using it I break it down.
This fish could be sick and as a result not eating. A paraguard bath won’t touch the diseases the fish could bring in. Treatment for most diseases is a full 30 days so a relatively short bath won’t help. Plus it doesn’t really have the correct ingredients to kill ich, velvet, etc.

You didn’t say what his tank mates are. He could just be stressed because he’s in a new tank and will eat eventually. He could also be bullied by the other fish.