Filtration

bbrook

I am setting up a 55 gal fish only tank. Currently, I am thinking of running an ehiem (loaded with crushed coral), Whisper 3 or 4 and a power head.
Difference in the 3 or 4? Better power filters? Any comments?

krazzydart

sounds good.... but...what do you plan on putting in the tank???? Live rock also helps filter a tank.I start all my tanks with live rock ...let it cycle with the rock and a few chromis(2)and go from there also with a skimmer and a few power heads circulating the water.

the rock

the rock says...
what's a whisper, lol, krazy dart i agree that if you are going to use damsels you should definately use the peaceful ones

bbrook

I have been told I am crazy to run a salt water tank with an Eheim canister and a Whisper. Many suggestions to run at a mimimum a wet/dry. Am I setting myself up for failure by going with the Eheim/Whisper?
If so, any brand recomendation? I have been looking at SeaLife 100 and the US Aquarium 75. Any preferences or a totally different one? Both would be run with a Rio 2100 or 2500.
I might add a skimmer later if I want to get into inverts.
Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says...
what's a whisper, lol, krazy dart i agree that if you are going to use damsels you should definately use the peaceful ones

[This message has been edited by bbrook (edited 02-13-2000).]
[This message has been edited by bbrook (edited 02-13-2000).]

kris

I have been running my 58 gallon setup for a long time now, with this combo: a fluval 304 canister (I highly recommend this over eheim because you have more options on what media to add.) The marineland bio-wheel is much better than the whisper. But get the big one with two cartridges which also has room in back for additional media. Don't be fooled into thinking that all of the expensive stuff will get you out of more work, cause it won't. God Luck. Remember your system needs to provide chemical, mechanical and biological filtration and your filters are only as good as the stuff you put in them.

venom

Originally posted by bbrook:
I am setting up a 55 gal fish only tank. Currently, I am thinking of running an ehiem (loaded with crushed coral), Whisper 3 or 4 and a power head.
Difference in the 3 or 4? Better power filters? Any comments?

I run my 45 gallon with a wisper 5 and keep two triggers and an eel with no problems remeber it is only as good as the media u put in it....also i use a skimmer so that may be the trick to this........remember every other day of testing here and there will alert u to problems way in advance.....and small water changes every three weeks will work fine......a little work will go a long way in this hobby......also with small water changes it is better too early than too late....good luck