Finishing my 65G Stocking?

john rambo

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a build I wrapped up on several weeks ago. I'll try to get better photos and a video in this thread at some point. Framing an aquarium in a wall has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember.

The tank is a 65 gallon Aqueon.

Very basic set up, but has been flawless for me for 4+ years (moved everything from a 46 to this). NO protein skimmer for years and zero issues with coral expansion and fish health - always low nitrates.

API Filistar M canister filter
Marineland Heater
Digital Temp Probe
Current USA Marine LED light

5-6' deep sand bed (75 lbs of sand)
I can't remember the live rock ratio - probably 50-75 lbs here

2 clowns
starry blenny
royal gramma
melanurus wrasse

4 healthy stalks of hammer coral
closed brain coral
candy cane
misc. mushrooms

I've had all 5 fish for several years now. Any opinions on adding 1 or 2 more fish, or am I stocked up already?

I'm leaning towards a flame angelfish or a blue spotted puffer (or both). I'm open to any suggestions or experiences you've had with either of these fish.

Hope you enjoy the photos and I'll try to get more up!IMG_4031.JPG

Attachments

Jesterrace

The issue with puffers is that they can kill your stock if stressed. That's enough to convince me never to get one. The Flame Angel tends to be one of the more aggressive dwarf angels and can possibly nip at your corals (as can all dwarf angels). If you are set on a dwarf angel, I would actually look into the coral beauty dwarf angel as it tends to be on the lower end of the aggression spectrum and if you keep it well fed and have some decent coraline growth you can minimize the coral nipping.

lmforbis

I have a nice flame angel. Probably 3 years now. I have never had an issue with it. Some can be aggressive and some eat coral.

john rambo

Thank you both for your input. Years ago I had a huge stars and stripes which I donated to a local aquarium. He was my favorite fish of all time. I'll give it some more thought. Currently, all 5 fish get along fine. I actually had a coral beauty for several years that passed away unexpectedly from a slight abrasion on its side. It could have possibly been caused by the wrasse, as the two seemed to flare up at times when near each other. That was in the 46 though, which was likely pushing it size wise for that stock. I'm just debating if the additional 19 gallons could make a difference this time around if I were to try another fish. I'm just looking for a unique fish that won't disturb the balance.. that may be too much to ask for though.

Thanks again.

Jesterrace

You could try another wrasse of some kind. I had a bad experience with a flame angel (to be fair it was in my 36 gallon), so I will avoid them in the future.