first clam

spkdtch

looking at getting a small clam or 2 sometime down the road so im getting prepared now
i have a blackback butterfly whos main diet is clams, will it pick on the clam and kill it?

spkdtch

the reason i ask is the butterfly is very small and a clam would be fairly large compared to it and protected in a shell whereas the clams it eats are just the meat

flower

Even if you get rid of the butterfly, do not buy a "small" clam. They don't survive well. Try and go 3' or more.

jackri

I got my maxima around 2" and it's doing just fine without supplemental feeding, but I honestly believe it gets food from scraping algae off the glass.
I also have a 3-4 inch crocea and 4-5 inch derasa. Water parameters, calcium/alk and lighting are very important though to clams.
Honestly though.. don't put a clam eater with a clam

1journeyman

3 inches, on average, is about the size where photosynthesis plays a larger role in feeding a clam than filter foods.
A small butterfly will likely see a large clam as a large meal.
Also, don't forget, clams grow.... and as they grow, quite large, they suck calcium and trace elements out of your tank.

hairycanary

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2994492
3 inches, on average, is about the size where photosynthesis plays a larger role in feeding a clam than filter foods.
A small butterfly will likely see a large clam as a large meal.
Also, don't forget, clams grow.... and as they grow, quite large, they suck calcium and trace elements out of your tank.

I like clams too.