First molt-just had to share!

Becky46

I'm sorry if this is boring to everyone else, but I'm excited, lol. A few months ago I decided to set up my first ever marine tank. I started small, with only live rock, sand, some kind of live weed the guy at the shop said would be good, and one hermit crab. After a month, he was still alive, so I added a little emerald crab. I think I may be addicted already. Anyway, I've had that first crab for just over 2 months, and today I witnessed his first molt! Well, I'm sure it's not his first because he's pretty good size. But, it's the first one for me . I did notice a few days ago that he wasn't being as active as he usually is, and wondered if he was sick. But, thanks to this forum I was pretty sure he was fine. He never buried himself, though. Maybe my sand isn't deep enough? I watched him come out of the old skeleton, and he kinda looks like he's eating on it...? He's still not completely out, but it's so cool! I'm very happy that I got to see it, and even more happy that I haven't killed him yet. Here's a pic I just took. You can see his blue eyes sticking out.
image.jpg

You can also see him in my profile pic. He doesn't have a name yet....

flower

LOL HI,

I have had reef tanks for over 10 years...and I have never seen any of my hermits molt, and you got it on camera! Awesome...boring...NEVER!

Becky46

When I first saw it I, also, said ewwww, lol. But then got excited about it.

He still has the empty exoskeleton pulled into his shell with him. Is that normal? Like a form of protection for him? It's starting to look kinda gross and cloudy/fuzzy in spots. Should I try to remove it, or just let it be?

john suh

Just had mine as well on my Coral banded shrimp. 3 weeks ago had noticed he was missing one of his front claws, after some initial worry...google searching made me feel better as it sounded like this was pretty common and he would grow it back.

Fast forward last night I noticed his outer molt shell laying on the bottom of the tank but he was in hiding. Woke up today to see him actively scavenging around with fresh front claws :D

silverado61

Saltwater hermits don't hide in the sand. Only the drys tank hermits do. That's cool that you got to see it. My lobster molted for the first time but all I got to see was the aftermath.

Last edited:

pegasus

Definitely let it be. They eat the molt and the calcium from it helps to harden the new skeleton. They've been doing it for eons, so there's no point in interfering... lol!!!

seecrabrun

Mine has never eaten the molt, ever... Hers just floats around for days and eventually gets picked at by the fish until there are tiny pieces everywhere and also some end up in the power head... And then I pick it out of the sand, or don't...

pegasus

Mine has never eaten the molt, ever... Hers just floats around for days and eventually gets picked at by the fish until there are tiny pieces everywhere and also some end up in the power head... And then I pick it out of the sand, or don't...
It's usually the head, claws, and legs... right? Do you ever see the abdomen attached to the molt? They don't eat the front part, as it's a bit hard. The soft abdomen is usually missing from the molt...

seecrabrun

It's usually the head, claws, and legs... right? Do you ever see the abdomen attached to the molt? They don't eat the front part, as it's a bit hard. The soft abdomen is usually missing from the molt...
That's the part that always ends up in the power head and I'm certain she's committed suicide LOL

bang guy

The hardened area are the only areas containing any Calcium carbonate. I'm pretty sure they are after protein if they eat their molt. Based on the amount of sand in their gut they have no problem getting enough Calcium in the typical reef.

One thing the molt does have is contaminants. Shrimp have the amazing ability to sequester toxins in their exoskeleton to be conveniently shed when needed.

silverado61

The hardened area are the only areas containing any Calcium carbonate. I'm pretty sure they are after protein if they eat their molt. Based on the amount of sand in their gut they have no problem getting enough Calcium in the typical reef.

One thing the molt does have is contaminants. Shrimp have the amazing ability to sequester toxins in their exoskeleton to be conveniently shed when needed.
Thats good to know.

seecrabrun

Also this is a thin striped hermit. They are mostly native to Florida, especially the bay areas. Their behaviors are a little different than the smaller hermits you usually see in our tanks. And they grow to be a good size.

Mine is currently about 2 inches. She's gone through dozens of molts and I can always see one coming. She behaves the same way each time and then she just abandons it instead of bothering to salvage anything.

silverado61

I've got one too. It finds a corner it can get itself wedged into till it's done molting. It's the only hermit I have in the display. Doesn't bother anything. It'll crawl right over a snail without giving it a second look.

seecrabrun

Mine is a snail murderer. She will flip the snail over on its back and wait until it tries to come out and then attack. I've watched her sit for hours until the snail comes out.

She doesn't bother the dwarf snails. Only the ones that are at least an inch or more.

She's a pill.