(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

pascuch

i vthink you went way overkill.i had a 220 with wet/dry, inline pro filter, uv, lr, and alot of fish and never had any problems. the whole tank cost about 2500 for everything.

grubsnaek

F'n a brother, good shhhhhhhhat!!!!! did you or someone else come up with the tricks. or was it just for some reason you stopped posting and just picked back up, or was it a really good joke......
alright for real, any chance of a full tank shot with just the actinics on. are the longer VHO bulbs on now also...

freeworld71

cbui2 said:
ReefForBrains, dont you loved DSL. its works so fast all you have to do is blink

ok some more work done today and here are the updates.
first thing was to assemble all 3 LM3 reflectors which my 3yrs. old baby volunteer to help and how convenience that the guy sell them on ---- is located down here and had them hand delivered to me. next was to cut aluminum to fit the slides which I had to be extra careful to have the holes drilled just right if not the slides will not work properly even if I am off about 1/4" or so. of course I am not completely done yet and extra supports will also be installed to hold them in place making them more sturdy since I cant afford to have any mistake as kids are around the house. MH are powered by 3 PFO Single HQI 400watts ballast w/14k hamilton. these babies are so bright it feel like I have no roof just direct sunlight.
Coral is not the only thing you can grow w/mh! lol

cbui2

thanks for all kind comments, i know some of the equipments i have is overkill but i wont be needing to upgrade anythime soon. hopefully
5 months update pics, not much since i don't access to a real camera yet :D
equipment and fish room

150gal fuge almost full, will harvest soon. i taught weeds grow fast :D. started with 4 quart bags and 2 months later

before FTS

after FTS

ameno

looks good
even seeing some good coraline growth now.
with this much equipment your have to have setbacks and a lot of tweeking to get everything were you want, but it looks like your well on the way to getting there.
nice project, thanks for sharing with us.

acrylic51

Awesome........
Just a quick curiousity question about your lighting.....Why did you opt for (6) 400w MH's?? What is your light spread on the 48" depth with just the L3's lit?

natemd

Just curious what fish do you have in there currently? I like the variety look you have going on in your tank.

cbui2

ameno - thanks as past couple of months coraline is all over the place. i have tons of equipmets and pumps but will be redoing some of sump plumbing and skimmer in a few months after some of house projects are done.
acrylic51 - thanks with 3 LA3 sits 8" from back wall and 6" from water line has great spread. VHOs was off when pictures was taking, but look really nice with them on. as for the 3 MH in the front will be turn on as more corals placement toward the front of display are introduced in near future. its not enough if you're asking me just 3 LA3, but spread is pretty good. no par meter so cant tell on that one
natemd - current main display fish list
1 5" Powder Blue Tang
1 3.5" Orange Shoulder Tang
1 2.5" Yellow Tang
1 5" Dejardini Sailfin Tang
1 5" Pink Margin Wrasse almost adult stage color are beautiful
1 5" Blue Jaw Trigger-Female and Male
1 4" Imperator Angelfish Juv
1 3" Lemonpeel Angelfish
1 3" Cleaner Wrasse
4 2" Lyretail Anthias (Female)
1 2" Lyretail Anthias (Male)
5 1.5" Six-Line Wrasse
1 2" Coris Wrasse Yellow
1 1.5" Green Mandarin Goby
1 6" Magnificant Foxface
WangoTango - thanks its good to be back
bgrae001 - little fix at a time since we're so addited to the hobby

acrylic51

Thanks for the reply.....I must have missed the thread on --, but your screen name caught my attention......I was curious as planning a new setup and going to use the L3's again and going with the 48" depth, and just curious of the spread.....I was planning on mounting them 15" up and curious does the spread get better as the reflectors are raised? I'm really not trying or intending to light the entire tank front to back is why I'm curious about the spread.....I'm trying to keep everything at least 8" from the front back and sides. Thanks!!!!!!

cbui2

thanks getting spread is one things, but will any corals be introduced. even with the spread i dont think it will covered 48" as the LA3 are 19.5" x 19.5". i never tried it that high so cant help.

cbui2

thanks, i will take some more pics soon
another all nighter started 10pm - 4am back to reefkeeping hours again . just completed 175gal water change last night and made some changes to plumbing. let me know if i did something wrong
1. both main display overflows are now plumb into 1st fuge area then overflows into main sump, by doing this i was able to dial down to about 2200-2500gph going through my main sump and getting better performance from skimmer and reactor thus stopping microbubbles completely. with the baffles previously installed didn't work out to well b/c of too much water flow in the main sump almost 4000gph. next in line will be plumbing one of main overflow into skimmer when part arrives.
2. the chiller is now plumb CL on main display. temperature reading probe from main display and not sump temperature.
before i had the intake plumbing from main sump and returning into main display. there was too much water flow going through my main sump. hopefully this is a good idea and if not i can always put it back the way it was before

osuaquarist

WOW! I have never seen anything so intense, when I thought you sold it all I felt like the sun would never come out again, but then I walked in your living room lol. This set up is just amazing I can't say enough about it, what an inspiration!

azfishgal

Your tank is looking nice. In your "before" shot I see at least 7 Blue Hippo Tangs but I don't see one listed in your current fish list. What happened to them?