Fish keep dying

Mobycat

I have 100 gallon and a 55 gallon tanks. The 100 is about 6 months, live rock and sand, and 55, no live rock or sand, is almost 3 years. I treated the 100 with Ich medicine about 3 months ago, it killed all the fish. I emptied the tank, left a little water, refilled, left it empty for about 3 weeks, it recycled. All perimeters were good. Every time I would add fish they would die in about 2 or 3 days. Left empty again for about a month, adding fish again, some are dying a couple are still alive. I had the water tested by a lab, ( only problem Phosphates high so I treated), even though I use the same water in the 55 gallon. I have a couple shrimp and some hermit crabs and an anemone, they are all okay. I can’t figure out what is wrong with this tank. My 55 gallon has never had any problems. Could the Ich medicine have contaminated the tank somehow, like absorbed in the tank sealant? It was fine up until the Ich medicine was added.

Last edited:

lmforbis

You still have ich in your tank. You need to leave the tank fallow for 72 days before adding any new fish. This allows all the ich to die off. Otherwise it will keep killing your fish. I’d suggest a quarantine tank to prevent future infections.

lmforbis

If your tank hasn’t been kept fallow the parasites are still there. Are you sure it was ich not velvet?

lmforbis

Like I said before your tank is still infected. Two weeks after an infected fish is not close to long enough. 72 days which is around 10 weeks is the time necessary to make sure it is ich free. If you don’t quarantine your fish to make sure they are disease free before you add them to your tank, even if your tank has been fallow for an extended period of time and is now disease free, you will be reintroducing the disease. If you are getting these fish from the same place they are guaranteed to be coming to yo sick and you are adding them directly to your tank which infects the tank. Quarantine will prevent that giving you time to observe and treat any diseases you see.

Mobycat

I emptied the tank completely and am starting over. I think that maybe my live rock had become toxic due to a power outage I had.