Fish seem to be "breathing heavily"

Amy K

Hey all,

We have had this tank up for about 2 months now, and all of a sudden yesterday our tangs started breathing heavily, like they aren't getting enough O2. By the time we realized it, we lost the yellow tank. Our sailfin is still living, but looks like she is still breathing really heavy. we have some damsels and shrimp that do not seem affected.

Anything we can do to help. Our water is "testing" normally, and even had it checked at the fish store yesterday (before we realized something was wrong) and everything was ok.

We are going to do a water change tonight. I read somewhere to add an air wall for a bit to oxygenate the water, but not sure that helped. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Amy

Amy K

This is our baby tank. 20 gallon nano, semi-closed top, HOB filter, no power heads yet (considering it)

Thank you!

jay0705

Way too small of a tank for any tang let alone 2. You need more water movement so either add an air stone or power head

Amy K

Ok thank you. We were just letting them grow in this tank before we moved them into a larger tank. We were told this was ok - do you not agree?

jay0705

As a qt for 2-4 weeks np. I still wouldn't try it with both at the same time tho. My qt is a 56 gal and my sail fin in there looks cramped.

Amy K

Got it! Thank you for your help. We are moving in 3 weeks and will get them set up as soon as we move into a bigger tank. I appreciate your help.

lmforbis

Watch for signs of parasites. Often they invade the gills which causes heavy breathing. But definitely get more water movement. The surface should be a bit turbulent and you don't want a cover the tank. Lots of surface movement facilitates gas exchange from air to water. A cover will inhibit that exchange.
That sailfin needs around a 125 gallon tank. Keep that in mind when you set up the new one.

2quills

Tangs are usually the first to go in the presence of low oxygen.

If ammonia isn't the issue then I suspect parasites or chlorine/chloromines if you're using tap water. If you are using tap water hopefully you're treating it with dechlorinator. But check your cities water supply. If they use chloromines then regular dechlorination products often don't work.

Amy K

I see there are a ton of different parasites that it could be. Just doesn't seem to meet our issues - I will keep researching! Thanks for your help :)

2quills

Keep an eye our for redness or irritation in the gills. The Ich parasite will often manifest itself as tiny white spots on the fish or in the gills. Tangs are notoriously susceptible.

beaslbob

How's you ammonia?

If ammonia is up best to get to another tank even if it's another hobbist or LFS tank. then let your tank consume ammonia.

And I would add macro algaes protected in a refugium (which can be just a simple partition) to consume ammonia and co2 while returning oxygen.

my .02

Jesterrace

Ok thank you. We were just letting them grow in this tank before we moved them into a larger tank. We were told this was ok - do you not agree?
I personally would never keep a fish for more than a week or two in a tank that wasn't designed to house them at adult size. I have a 36 gallon and would never think of putting a single tang into it. Also could you give us your Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite readings? Which test kit are you using? Some test kits aren't the best for reliability.