Fish selection suggestions

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by pfcbizz, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

Hello, Ive been working on my 180 gal tall acrylic tank and I'm getting to the point I'm bout to get it running, and I want to start early researching my fish selection and I've had alot of type of fish I want but as of now I can only agree with 2 type and they are :

1. King Angel
    2. Sailfin Tang

and Now I need some help selecting 4 more, so I'm asking for any suggestions.

2. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

How long is the tank?

3. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

56' L x 20" W x 36" H

4. jay0705

Due to the length you have to watch your tang selection. They swim length wise height doesn't do much for them. A fox face would wrk tho

5. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

I’d agree. That is also an issue with large angles.

6. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

Ok thanks for your opinions of my selections now I ask if you were doing this tank what would you do as a section now mind you I want color my favorite fish is angels and my second is tangs and I need 6 fish, so give it to me.

7. jay0705

Dwarf angel, yellow or kole tang, fox face, royal gramma, flame hawk, pair of clowns of your choice

pfcbizz likes this.
  8. lmforbis

Dwarf angel, I prefer the flame. I love the watanabi angel, they may be too big though. I agree with the Yellow tang. Orchid dotty back is a great splash of color. Your tank is big enough for a maroon clown. I had a lamarks angel. It wasn’t colorful in the normal sense, black and white, but it glowed with the actinic light. I sadly lost it shortly after I upgraded my tank last March. The Banggai cardinal fish is nice for the same reason.

9. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

but they say those clown can get evil and attack the other fish ?

10. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

I can mess with the dwarf angels I do like the coral beauty, and I guess I could even mess with the kole tangI don't know about the cardinals though and had a fox face they are also nice, any others I want to hear .

11. lmforbis

I’ve never had one go rogue. The key is get a small one so it grows up on the tank. Your tank is big enough. In a small tank it won’t work.

12. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

ok sounds good

13. jay0705

I have a maroon and have no issues with it. It doesn't even bother new additions. Clarkii and tomatoes are generally more aggressive.
    I don't have any but i like orange skunk clowns

pfcbizz likes this.
  14. lmforbis

I had a Clarki. It was one vicious fish. As it got older it got real ugly looking. It ended up in a tank with a blue damsel and a moray eel.

pfcbizz likes this.
  15. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

but don't clown fish need t Anemones

16. pfcbizz

pfcbizz Member

what would anyone say about 2 dwarf angels and what would go good with a coral beauty ?

17. jay0705

Nope they do not

18. jay0705

2 dwarfs is asking for trouble. As far as a beauty pretty much anything but another dwarf angel lol

19. lmforbis

Agreed. That is kind of the same across most salt water fish. Only one of a specific genus. You can’t do more than one centropyge. You also need to watch out for body shape and color. Royal gramma (genus-gramma) looks like the bicolor dottyback (genus-pictichromis). They are different genera but they look similar and they will be an issue.

20. iidylii

iidylii Active Member

i agree when I first got into the hobby I tried 2 types of dwarfs, a bicolor and a beauty...was fine for a couple days then one killed the other...in a HUGE tank 200-300 gallon sure maybe...there are some pretty colorful blennies out there as well...I have a chalk bass which is kind of neat as well...squirrel fish, sifter gobies etc...