Fish Traps for Tangs

maxsmart

Any advice on how to catch a lopezi tang? It's about 3 inches tall, so most traps I've seen (which are expensive anyway) are too short. Any suggestions about techniques or products that could help me catch him without tearing my reef apart (too much coral would be affected).
I tried plugging all the holes on one side of the tank that he could fit into with styrofoam cups, and almost got him that way - but now he's wised up and won't go to that side of the tank any more.
He's being a terrorist to my blenny and other fish, please help me get him out of there!

bla403

It may not be the best way but I used my hands. Use 1 hand and guide him into a smaller and smaller spot till you corner him. Cup your hands under him and out into a prefilled bucket or bag etc. You could wear gloves like dishwashing gloves, preferably unused ones if you see the need. Thats how I got my foxface rabbitfish from 1 tank to another without stinging me.

bornagain

Find a clear plastic bottle.
Remove the wrap on the outside. Cut in half and use the bottom.
The fish have trouble seeing the bottle. Use your hands to coax it into the clear bottom. Its much safer than nets

[hr]
no bacteria buildup causing eye illness.
You can trash the bottle and get a new one. (or conserve and reuse as much as possible.)

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Bla403
http:///forum/post/3255277
It may not be the best way but I used my hands. Use 1 hand and guide him into a smaller and smaller spot till you corner him. Cup your hands under him and out into a prefilled bucket or bag etc. You could wear gloves like dishwashing gloves, preferably unused ones if you see the need. Thats how I got my foxface rabbitfish from 1 tank to another without stinging me.
If I stuck my hand in there he'd go into the reef. Besides, they have a razor blade on their tail, wouldn't he gash my hand open?

maxsmart

Originally Posted by BornAgain
http:///forum/post/3255310
Find a clear plastic bottle.
Remove the wrap on the outside. Cut in half and use the bottom.
The fish have trouble seeing the bottle. Use your hands to coax it into the clear bottom. Its much safer than nets

[hr]
no bacteria buildup causing eye illness.
I've made something like this before, except it had the top inverted for catching shrimp.
How does this work, do I put bait in it? Once the tang wanders inside she will think it's a safe hiding place and stay inside?

mr. limpid

You will need to move rock and decoration from one side of your tank, use egg crate cut to fit tank for separation (leave egg crate in tank) when fish swims to open side set up separation. The fish may need to be herded to open side. Then use the plastic bottle trap mention above, I use a 2 quart drinking bottle with handle and ribs on bottom and attach bag with rubber band on one end.

bla403

My hippo tang wasnt able to hurt me and I was able to corrale him away from the reef before I cornered him. I do like the eggcrate idea though if you can move rocks to do it. My reef is too stuffed to do that and corals have grown across different rocks so I cant detach them.

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Bla403
http:///forum/post/3255710
My hippo tang wasnt able to hurt me and I was able to corrale him away from the reef before I cornered him. I do like the eggcrate idea though if you can move rocks to do it. My reef is too stuffed to do that and corals have grown across different rocks so I cant detach them.
That's the problem with me too, I have too many corals that would be disturbed by moving the rocks. I have one of those setups where there is a wall of rocks leaning against the back wall 2/3 of the way up. My tank is divided unevenly by a megaflow overflow, the left side is smaller than the right. I plugged the 4 holes the tang could fit into on that side with styrofoam cups, but now she just avoids that side of the tank entirely.

bornagain

Originally Posted by MaxSmart
http:///forum/post/3255543
I've made something like this before, except it had the top inverted for catching shrimp.
How does this work, do I put bait in it? Once the tang wanders inside she will think it's a safe hiding place and stay inside?
It sortof depends on your relationship with the tang. Some are trusting and aren't afraid of your hands. Some people can catch them easily because when the fish sees your hands near the tank, they assume its feeding time. You could put food in the bottle, or capture during feeding.

maxsmart

Thanks, I will search for a suitable container to make into a trap and see if I can lure her into it. Whenever I put my hands in the tank she bolts into the reef, so I think that's out. But I wonder if she'll accept a new shelter as an acceptable hiding place... we'll see... if I can just chase her into it I can pull it out and the deed is done.

I have the exact same situation. Other than I am trying to catch a Butterfly who is eating all my coral. I put him in to clean up my aiptasia problem which was out of control. Wow what a great job he did but now he is on to the corals..