Flame Angel & Coral Beauty

merredeth

I have a huge problem and hope someone can help out here.
For many months I had a Coral Beauty with a Purple Firefish and a Humu in one tank. They got a long great and never had a problem for many, many months.
About a week ago the Humu ended up getting stuck in a rock. After getting him out of the rock, I believe my hubby gave him brain damage and subsequently, I lost him.
Well, my birthday was this weekend and my fish store owner was invited to a surprise birthday party for me. He brought me another Humu because he knew I loved the fish so much.
This new one is about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch bigger than the other one I had. He is smaller than my Coral Beauty that has been in the tank for about nine months.
I acclimated him during the party and all looked well.
Yesterday evening as I went into the bedroom I saw him nip the Coral Beauty. He also made shreds of the tail of a damsel.
I turned out the lights for the night to think about about what to do with him.
This morning I caught him and put him in one of the breeder net baskets and decided to let him sit there until I get some feedback from this note.
I'm wondering if putting him in the breeder net for a day or so and re-arranging the rock is enough to calm him down. Since he was the last fish in the tank, I'm thinking that is a waste of time, but willing to try anything.
As a last resort if that doesn't work, I'm wondering if anyone has ever put a Coral Beauty in a tank with a Flame Angel. Has anyone had any success with it? I'm not so worried about the damsel as I can put him in the other tank, and the firefish is way too fast for the Humu to get a hold of should he decide to go after him (which so far he hasn't from my observations). It is the Coral Beauty that I am most concerned about.
Anyone try adding the Flame Angel and Coral Beauty in the same tank before and had any success in it?
Thanks,
Denise M.

renogaw

i see coral beauties, flame angles, and pygmy angles in one of my lfs's tanks for sale, but they also have a bunch of other fish swimming together. all reports say no to more than one angle in a tank. how big is your tank? maybe that will make a difference.

merredeth

Originally Posted by renogaw
i see coral beauties, flame angles, and pygmy angles in one of my lfs's tanks for sale, but they also have a bunch of other fish swimming together. all reports say no to more than one angle in a tank. how big is your tank? maybe that will make a difference.
Should be bigger than a store's display tank I would think. Our LFS uses 40 gallon tanks for displaying individual specimens for sale.
This tank is a 75 gallon.
Denise M.

merredeth

Well, I solved the problem.
Tried to put the CB with the flame angel and the purple tang. The angel and coral beauty had no problems but the purple tang didn't like the coral beauty at all.
So, since he was busy swiping at the coral beauty, I caught the humu in the other tank and ended up taking him back to my LFS.
My favorite birthday present had to be given away for the sake of the other fish, but oh well. I'd hate for a $39.99 Humu to kill off hundreds of dollars of other fish.
I then put the coral beauty back into the tank he came from and he is doing fine - so far. He was king of that tank, so it was best he went back to the tank that he called home.
Denise M.

hatessushi

If you like other triggers try a Pink Tail or Hawaiian black trigger. They are actully fairly peaceful even though they are listed as semi-agressive. I finally put my black Trigger in with the Kole Tang, Coral Beauty, Maroon clown, and diamond goby. The funny thing is the maroon clown is only about 2 inches and the trigger is about 6 inches. The others leave the trigger alone but the clown chases him away from the GSP she hosts. She has nipped at the trigger but the response is like the clown doesn't exist. Anyway the Trigger stays away from the clowns home.
The trigger seems very peaceful from the minute he went in the DT. In fact when I acclimated him from the QT to the DT there was no shock at all. In the bucket he would come up and try to squirt water at me and moved slowly at the surface just staring at me. When he got in the DT he didn't hide, he went right out and met the others with no problems. sorry long post.

merredeth

just curious, what do you feed your coral beauty?
If I use already prepared food I use Formula One and some nori which he likes.
However most of the time I make my own food which he seems to love.
2 scallops, 2 clams, 2 mussles, 1/4 sheet nori, 3 shrimp. Stick it in a mini food processor and grind.
I then will freeze the mess so it lays flat on a tupperware lid. Then I break it up and stick it in a freezer bag.
When defrosting, I add some Garlic Extreme or freshly pressed garlic to it and let it soak for half an hour or so.
The Coral Beauty and my other fish all devour it and the colors on my fish are brilliant. The purple firefish seems to lose color quicker than others when I use flakes.
Besides, by the time I make this mess up for the fish, I have spent just about the same as I spend on Formula One and it is a lot fresher. As for flakes, if I have to use flakes, I make sure I use one with a garlic additive as well.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
If you like other triggers try a Pink Tail or Hawaiian black trigger. They are actully fairly peaceful even though they are listed as semi-agressive. I finally put my black Trigger in with the Kole Tang, Coral Beauty, Maroon clown, and diamond goby. The funny thing is the maroon clown is only about 2 inches and the trigger is about 6 inches. The others leave the trigger alone but the clown chases him away from the GSP she hosts. She has nipped at the trigger but the response is like the clown doesn't exist. Anyway the Trigger stays away from the clowns home.
The trigger seems very peaceful from the minute he went in the DT. In fact when I acclimated him from the QT to the DT there was no shock at all. In the bucket he would come up and try to squirt water at me and moved slowly at the surface just staring at me. When he got in the DT he didn't hide, he went right out and met the others with no problems. sorry long post.
You are correct, they are listed as semi-aggressive. Something to think about. I really liked the picture I found of the Hawaiian Black. He would look nice in one tank specifically I am still slowly adding to.
I like the pink tail as well, but the tank he would look best in is fully stocked. However, both are something to consider.
Thanks for the tip!
Denise M.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Merredeth
If I use already prepared food I use Formula One and some nori which he likes.
However most of the time I make my own food which he seems to love.
2 scallops, 2 clams, 2 mussles, 1/4 sheet nori, 3 shrimp. Stick it in a mini food processor and grind.
I then will freeze the mess so it lays flat on a tupperware lid. Then I break it up and stick it in a freezer bag.
When defrosting, I add some Garlic Extreme or freshly pressed garlic to it and let it soak for half an hour or so.
The Coral Beauty and my other fish all devour it and the colors on my fish are brilliant. The purple firefish seems to lose color quicker than others when I use flakes.
Besides, by the time I make this mess up for the fish, I have spent just about the same as I spend on Formula One and it is a lot fresher. As for flakes, if I have to use flakes, I make sure I use one with a garlic additive as well.
Denise M.

kk thanks. i'm making the same food you are, minus the nori (my dog decided to eat the whole box i bought
) i'll grab some more nori. i got mine a couple days ago and unless its the crappy light i have in my QT, he seems to have lost some color. he's eating ok though beteen a mixture of flake and mush.

merredeth

kk thanks. i'm making the same food you are, minus the nori (my dog decided to eat the whole box i bought
) i'll grab some more nori. i got mine a couple days ago and unless its the crappy light i have in my QT, he seems to have lost some color. he's eating ok though beteen a mixture of flake and mush.
I've noticed lighting has a lot to do with how colors of the CB look. I don't know how old your lights are, but perhaps a replacement is in order as well?
As for the nori, I I know he goes for for it and has very vibrant color. Is it due to just the nori? I don't know, but what I do know is the recipe I gave you works well for most every fish I have in my tanks.
for the last several months I have not been adding fish to any of my aquariums as for the most part all were fully stocked other than my bedroom tank. That one could handle a few more, but I was taking my time stocking it (so many fish, so many choices!
) and would buy new additions only when they were priced right.
Good luck!
Denise M.

renogaw

my clowns dont seem to like the mush, but absolutely love the flakes i have (can't remember name, not formula 1). they will actually eat it out of my fingers. my shrimp goby loves the mush (he'll eat it out of my tongs), as do my crabs, anenomes, and star fish.
thanks for the help :)

merredeth

my clowns dont seem to like the mush, but absolutely love the flakes i have (can't remember name, not formula 1). they will actually eat it out of my fingers. my shrimp goby loves the mush (he'll eat it out of my tongs), as do my crabs, anenomes, and star fish.
thanks for the help :)
I guess fish are more like people than we care to admit - my clown in one tank is just a pig all the way around and will dive for anything. Another clown in another tank will only eat the mush I make. Go figure.
Most all of my fish will come to me if they know food is in my hand.
When I pulled the trigger out of the tank, I experienced my first bite from a trigger. Stung for about an hour but it didn't break my skin.
Denise M.