Flame angels

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I had good luck with them, but I think you need to be careful about tankmates and research compatibility carefully. They are eye-popping with their flame color. Also, size of tank to number of fish in tank is a consideration. They'd do better where they didn't feel the brunt of overlapping territory.

lmforbis

I’ve had mine over 3 years. Never causes problems. Doesn’t mess with coral, at least not yet.

jay0705

Ah very good ladies thank you. Tank wise it would either be my 75 or 220. The 75 only has 4 fish in it. The 220 is more the show peice tank but also has more peaceful inhabitants

Jesterrace

I've been looking at these alot lately. Are they the hell raisers people say they are?
As you well know all fish are individuals. My experience with one was not the most pleasant, but then again I didn't provide the poor guy with the best environment or tankmates either. I would house him with fish that are not easily bullied or intimidated.

I had him for a few weeks in a 36 gallon bowfront with a Purple Firefish, Diamond Watchman Goby, Green Mandarin and Scissortail Dartfish. He immediately targeted the Purple Firefish and was never content until he chased him into his den, he then started bullying and intimidation behavior towards my other fish. Although strangely enough it left the Mandarin alone. The final straw was when he went after my hammer coral. Out he went. He did look ridiculously cramped in my rockwork though. Here is a couple of vids of it: