Flushing RO Membrane - coralife

vince-1961

The manual for my Coralife RO filter states: "Membrane efficiency and life expectancy may be improved by flushing the membrane regularly. The easiest way to achieve this is to switch the two outlet fittings on the bottom of the membrane housing. By placing the wastewater fitting (red tube) in the purified water outlet and the purified water fitting (blue tube) in the wastewater outlet, the system can be flushed."

I fail to understand how switching the outlet tubes is going to affect anything that happens on the inside of the unit, because switching the tubes just sends the water coming out of the respective outlet to wherever that particular tube happens to go.

Little help anyone or am I just thinking too much?

2quills

It's essentially just bypassing the flow restrictor. You aren't actually backflushing the membrane. It just allows water to flow out of the waste port at higher pressure which helps break loose some of the excess build up on the surface of the membrane.

I'm not sure where the flow restrictor is located on your particular unit but you can make your own bypass line around the restrictor and install a valve. That way you don't have to switch the tubes around, you can simply open up a valve and make it a lot easier.