Fostering a pet

meowzer

WELL I am about to foster a dog....I said I wouldn;t do it...since I have 2 dogs and 3 cats of my own...BUT I help out with a place that tries to save dumped animals
I told them I will donate food...supplies...and money...BUT I could NOT be around the animals
WELL last night a mini doxie was in trouble...and the is NO WHERE for it.....SOO I said I would keep it until we found it a home.....ONLY if my animals got along with her
SOOOOO Iwill be back with her this afternoon.....WISH US LUCK
AND PLEASE......Spay and Neuter your animals.....we are soooo overrun here it's ridiculous

flower

LOL...if you are like me, and your other animals get along with it...the doggie has found a new home already.
Post some pics...we need another dog thread to make us smile.

darthtang aw

WELL I am about to foster a dog....I said I wouldn;t do it...since I have 2 dogs and 3 cats of my own...BUT I help out with a place that tries to save dumped animals
I told them I will donate food...supplies...and money...BUT I could NOT be around the animals
WELL last night a mini doxie was in trouble...and the is NO WHERE for it.....SOO I said I would keep it until we found it a home.....ONLY if my animals got along with her
SOOOOO Iwill be back with her this afternoon.....WISH US LUCK
AND PLEASE......Spay and Neuter your animals.....we are soooo overrun here it's ridiculous
Bob Barker? Is that you?
Darth (I bid 1 dollar) Tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos to you for doing this. Personally, I couldn't. I know I'd get attached and then have to keep.
Personally, I don't think I'm an across the board castrate animals type of person. Responsible pet owners don't let their animals run amuck to have unwanted pups/kitties. In humans removing sex organs is a last resort measure for health reasons only. I imagine its the same type of thing for animals. Organs are there for a reason that don't just involve procreation. People who are not responsible animal owners probably aren't going to spay or neuter anyway. There are, of course, circumstances I think are reasons to castrate, such as animals that go outside on their own.
Also, I feel it is odd that some animal advocates look down their nose on pet owners that choose to get their animals somewhere else rather then the shelter. I'm not a four-legged pet owner though, so what do I know.

Anyway, getting off topic.

meowzer

BETH....I said I would never do this either....I donate food and money.....BUT this poor little girl needed a place quick.....ALL of my pets are spayed....I have no intentions of breeding......YET I also have a Pug......NO she is not from a shelter.....LOL
Here is Rosie (my pug) and Lucy the foster

Rosie cleaning Lucy

So far Pixie won't go near her :(

meowzer

Yes...she is very skinny :( She is on a few preventative meds because we don't know what she has had or not....
she will not eat dog food yet....she is eating hot dogs....BUT she is eating and drinking so that is a good thing

darthtang aw

She doesnt look so skinny to me. In fact the "long" dogs such as bassets,wei er and so on should be on the light end of the scale. Otherwise they can develop back issues later.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/395762/fostering-a-pet#post_3524400
She doesnt look so skinny to me. In fact the "long" dogs such as bassets,wei er and so on should be on the light end of the scale. Otherwise they can develop back issues later.
I was thinking the same thing, you can't see her bones or anything to indicate she's too thin. She looked pretty healthy to me...but pictures lie and LOL, I have bad eyes. Overweight is bad for all dogs, on big dogs the hips are affected. She couldn't have been too neglected if you have to hand feed her hotdogs, it sounds to me like she's as spoiled as my Atticus.

meowzer

Beth, all I know is she was a breeder dog :( Kept in a kennel her whole life and made to produce litter after litter.....she was rescued from that.....an then in the last 2 weeks passed around from place to place....in horrible conditions......She really never had any loving human contact....BUT she is amazingly loving :)
I have not been able to get her to eat any dog food yet, just hotdogs, but that can not go on forever.....I will talk to the vet tomorrow and see what they suggest I try.
She knows to go outside to use the bathroom though (THANK GOODNESS) and I finally taught her to come back in....LOL...

2quills

So the hotdog, dog only likes hotdogs, huh? Too funny!
Good luck with her.
We took in a little bull dog pup a few months back for about a week. The lady we worked with got him, then it turns out we caught her trying to steal some money from the company, She was getting booted out of her home so we offered to take the dog. She said it was given to her but when I went to check the house after she was gone I found the papers for the dog along with a contract to purchase him and make payments. Well, she had only made in initial deposit of $600 and still owed the breeder another $1200. We debated whether or not to keep the dog but we already have 3. So I contacted the breeder and told him we had him and that he could come pick him up. Turned out to be a good thing because he was out of work and that dog was supposed to help pay his rent.

flower

Wow...from the top she does look scrawny. My Atticus won't eat anything crunchy either, I always thought maybe he hated the sound in his mouth. He is a waif as well. My mother cooked chicken for him, deboned it, and mixed it with some wet dog food from a can...he will only eat the Beef, Liver and Bacon combo flavor, then she topped it off with hotdogs like it was a birthday cake... he finally ate it. Now he thinks every time she cooks chicken, it's just for him.
He also loves tuna from the can mixed with Swiss cheese.
I hope she finds a great home, she sounds like a true sweetheart to still love people after everything she has been put through.

meowzer

She has gotten a lot better already in one day.....learning to play with Rosie.....she finally barked....and licked me too
she still is standoffish......but I think she will be great....and a great companion for someone

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395762/fostering-a-pet#post_3524442
She has gotten a lot better already in one day.....learning to play with Rosie.....she finally barked....and licked me too
she still is standoffish......but I think she will be great....and a great companion for someone
LOL...You know you're going to keep her.....

meowzer

NO NO NO......She is a very sweet dog....getting sweeter by the day.....it's sad watching her try to figure out how to play....I say sad because it makes me realize she has never had a real life :( and there are sooooo many others like her
She has a ways to go, BUT is warming up.....I can not keep her.....3 dogs and 3 cats is a little too many......and IF I ever help one again, I have to be able to LET GO ...Believe me....she will go to a good home that is checked out.....A lot of the groups here do actual home studies....LOL....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395762/fostering-a-pet#post_3524468
NO NO NO......She is a very sweet dog....getting sweeter by the day.....it's sad watching her try to figure out how to play....I say sad because it makes me realize she has never had a real life :( and there are sooooo many others like her
She has a ways to go, BUT is warming up.....I can not keep her.....3 dogs and 3 cats is a little too many......and IF I ever help one again, I have to be able to LET GO ...Believe me....she will go to a good home that is checked out.....A lot of the groups here do actual home studies....LOL....
Thou protesteth to much.
LOL...Your updates are loaded with hope and love for this pooch. I couldn't give her up if I had her, and watched her progress to a happy little girl. Keep in mind she is now getting attached to you as well. Yours is the only loving home she has ever had. You live in the country...4 dogs isn't all that many.