FOWLR tank suggestions

I’m new to the saltwater hobby, but have freshwater tanks. I tried using aqadvisor as a guideline with little help due to the lack of species I’m interested in keeping in the future.

I plan on having two 300 gallon FOWLR tanks, but would like to know if the species listed below could fit comfortably in a slightly smaller tank that’s not custom made, if you’ve experienced any issues with these combinations, and if any of the information I’ve gathered is incorrect.
Any advice is appreciated!

• Pacific blue tang 72-82
  • Majestic angel 74-82
  • Long nose hawk fish (solitary, will eat bottom feeders or small fish, semi-aggressive 72-78/80
  • Pearl scale butterflyfish 72-82
  • Arigua butterflyfish (eat coral polyps) peaceful, can handle lower temperatures compared to other butterflies 72-78
  • spiny burrfish 72-79
  • dogface puffer 74-82
And then...

• Quoyi parrotfish fish, peaceful
• Gold flake angel 74-82 150 min
• Picasso trigger fish, aggressive 76-82 add last
• Blonde Naso Tang, peaceful, 75-79 or 72-81
• Smooth trunkfish 72-79/82

Last edited:
I'm assuming the number ranges you have listed represent recommended temperature ranges.

I can't address the specific combinatiosn you have, but I can give you some general information.

You can find information about recommended tank sizes for each species on the websites of reputable online sellers (like Saltwaterfish.com). It is good to refer to a range of sites when getting your recommendations, because some sites will list different recommendations for tank sizes.

It is also good to check the old threads in the fish discussion boards for insights into any specific species or interaction. Take note of the generally observed behaviors of any species, but also note that there are always anomalous individuals that deviate from the generally noted behavioral patterns. Also note that there seem to be as many different opinions about the proper tank size for a given species as there are people keeping fish. So research as much as you can, and then make your best judgment call.

Also note that tank size is really only the starting point of determining whether any fish will do well in the planned community. It also depends on things like aquascaping (to make sure that everyone has a proper place to call home), timing / order of addition, how many fish you plan to add, and how many different species.

I also believe that the number of fish you can keep depends on the capacity / efficiency of the biological filtration and clean up crew you set up. So a more efficient system can support more life in a specific sized tank than a less efficient system in the same tank would support. (I would love to hear more opinions on this, though). I'm sure there are other factors I'm leaving out.

Patrick Seastar

I’m new to the saltwater hobby, but have freshwater tanks. I tried using aqadvisor as a guideline with little help due to the lack of species I’m interested in keeping in the future.

I plan on having two 300 gallon FOWLR tanks, but would like to know if the species listed below could fit comfortably in a slightly smaller tank that’s not custom made, if you’ve experienced any issues with these combinations, and if any of the information I’ve gathered is incorrect.
Any advice is appreciated!

• Pacific blue tang 72-82
  • Majestic angel 74-82
  • Long nose hawk fish (solitary, will eat bottom feeders or small fish, semi-aggressive 72-78/80
  • Pearl scale butterflyfish 72-82
  • Arigua butterflyfish (eat coral polyps) peaceful, can handle lower temperatures compared to other butterflies 72-78
  • spiny burrfish 72-79
  • dogface puffer 74-82
And then...

• Quoyi parrotfish fish, peaceful
• Gold flake angel 74-82 150 min
• Picasso trigger fish, aggressive 76-82 add last
• Blonde Naso Tang, peaceful, 75-79 or 72-81
• Smooth trunkfish 72-79/82
There's a lot of arguing about what's the proper size for the different types of fish. What I have found is that there is so much difference of opinion when it comes to this. Every website, book, or article is going to have different suggestions & you gotta remember... They're just suggestions. Usually they'll give you an estimate based on the biggest size of the fish & what practical for most aquarist. For example, that blue tang can sometimes grow as big as a trouch! Imagine a trouch swimming in an 82 gallon? Doesn't seem so big with such a big fish inside anymore does it? The reality is with that amount & type of fish, you're most definitely going to need more than 100 gallons. Dude, I mean... Going through the rest of the list, you're going to need minimum 200 gallons.

300_FOWLR_dude

I keep a lot of what is on both lists combined in a 250 display. Couple differences in in variety but Tangs, triggers, angels.

The butterflies I have not had much luck with over the years other than the Copperband and the Foxface's. That said I have never tried having them first in the tank which I think may be the ticket.

I like the stock lists for both tanks outside of the butterflies but I bet it can be done if stocked in the correct order.

<--waiting on pics. ;)

Best of luck!