Fragging tip for a Monti

raptor72

I'm looking to attach a Montipora capricornus frag on a plug to my overflow wall. I have used magnets before on one of my zoo frags, but I'm not sure if this will work with the Monti which will grow to be much bigger. If I attach it with the magnets, will the rest of the Monti which will grow at the base, attach itself to the overflow wall? If not, what might be some other ideas?

snakeblitz33

I attached montipora frags to my overflow one time. I really enjoyed the look of it too. I took the frag and glued it with superglue gel underwater and then stuck it to the overflow. You have to be quick with the superglue gel, but it will work!

raptor72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388997/fragging-tip-for-a-monti#post_3434320
I attached montipora frags to my overflow one time. I really enjoyed the look of it too. I took the frag and glued it with superglue gel underwater and then stuck it to the overflow. You have to be quick with the superglue gel, but it will work!
What about the rest of the base that grows next to the overflow? Will it attach itself to the wall or would it just be attached at the point where it was glued?

snakeblitz33

Over time it will grow onto your overflow box too. I'm not sure how strong of a bond it will be, especially since overflow box plastic is pretty smooth. You could occasionally go back and superglue gel around the edges that touch the overflow box for a better bond. Eventually, the montipora would grow ever the gel and it would stick better...
I've done it before - but when I took the tank down, it all broke off pretty easy. Montipora frags are usually glued to rocks or plugs for a better bond.

btldreef

I glue mine to the overflow as well. Eventually it will encrust the glue, but it does take some time. I try to get as much of the initial piece to be glued on as I can. The glue works better than the epoxy does.

raptor72

Cool. One last question. The overflow wall is encrusted with coraline algae, should I scrape it down to the plastic where I will glue it?

snakeblitz33

Either way would be fine. Eventually your montipora will grow onto the coralline. It might be best to leave the coralline there for some extra support and sticking ability. I wouldn't worry about it.

raptor72

Here's what it looks like. I made a brace from a small piece of thin plastic so it will have some support while the base encrusts onto the overflow wall.

btldreef

Very nice. We have 2 or 3 pieces that we've glued on the overflows that way and so far have had good luck.

kiefers

Lol.... been there done that and doing it again with a yellow rimmed scroll. the look is amazing, makes the tank look um...... like a piece of the coral reef. Nice touch indeed.
Mine has really thrives being glued onto the box. It's got great flow and great lighting up there. Yours looks great!