Freezing LR Kill Bubble Algae?

merredeth

My LFS had some great shapes of live rock that had bubble algae on it. The shapes were great for some caves that I wanted to build. He was going to throw it out since one tank of his got some bubble algae that a couple of Foxfaces just couldn't keep up with.
I don't generally take things home for free but decided to take this live rock home and sit it outside in the cold for about two weeks.
While I know this is probably going to kill off the correline algae, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to pull off all the bubble algae that can be seen with the

[hr]
eye and then freeze the rock for awhile to rid it of bubble agae and later try to stick it in a tank by itself with some lighting and Purple Up to regrow the correline. It has been two weeks outside now, and there is still some of the coloring on the fiji rock believe it or not.
Will freezing the rock get rid of the bubble algae or am I just asking for a problem later on and wasting my time?
Thanks for any responses.
Denise M.

qreef

I don't think freezing will work....is more a reserved process. If you boil then I think it should kill all everything

merredeth

Originally Posted by fishieness
you LFS was throwing away rock cause it had bubble algae?!!! damn!
just peel it off.
I guess he has more than enough money to burn from all the money I have paid him. :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious
So any suggestions on how to get rid of it besides peeling it since the spores still create a problem?
Denise M.

fishieness

peel off any visible, then get an emerald crab or two. when you notice any in your tnak, peel it off!
if you boil or freeze it you will also take off everything including the bacteria. it will just become base rock.
i had a bunch of bubble algae a whiel ago. i got an emerald crab and i would peel off any that i would see, and in not too long, its all gone. just make sure you dont pop it. and if you do, rinse with fresh water.
its the way to go in my book.

merredeth

Originally Posted by fishieness
peel off any visible, then get an emerald crab or two. when you notice any in your tnak, peel it off!
if you boil or freeze it you will also take off everything including the bacteria. it will just become base rock.
i had a bunch of bubble algae a whiel ago. i got an emerald crab and i would peel off any that i would see, and in not too long, its all gone. just make sure you dont pop it. and if you do, rinse with fresh water.
its the way to go in my book.
There is sooooo much on this rock you wouldn't believe it.
I am one who loves the Foxface because they love bubble algae but even his Foxfaces he kept in this tank couldn't keep up with it. So, this is why it got bagged.
After reading the replies that I have so far, I think I'm safer boiling the darn stuff and just starting over from ground zero. I can't beat the price, so if it takes a little work, it's just like everything else with this hobby, right? Patience.
Thanks for the idea but I peeled off all the bubble agae I could and you know in the little cracks and grooves there is still some even a new dental plaque tool couldn't do the job of completely removing.
Denise M.