Frozen food thaw

iidylii

so the last time I was out of town I bought a bunch of frozen because I can't even get frozen where I live lol...anyways it's a 4 hour drive home with the frozen so it all thawed out...I then of course put it back in the freezer...any idea if this could be an issue...I'm just wondering because my spirulina is not so green anymore...the reason I'm concerned is my fox hasn't been eating very well this past week...he will grab a couple pieces and then go hide...not like him at all he used to basically be sitting at the top of the water mouth wide open lol...coincidentally I had my lights in my house on after my fish had been sleeping a few hours and my fox was flipping out s little and ran into my longspine urchin...I'm wondering if maybe he doesn't feel real well from possibly being stung? I know there's about 3 stories mixed in there but they kind of all happened around the same time and I'm not really sure what's going on...my other fish are eating but maybe not as well as before...I tried my dads spirulina and at first my fox gobbled a bunch down but again went and hid in the rocks after a minute...I guess I'm just wondering if the food maybe lost its appeal to the fish or maybe went bad a little?

iidylii

Well i would say a good majority was thawed/softened up...to be sure I should probably just throw it away...which sucks because I bought $50 worth...I buy them out if food everytime I leave town because I don't have any close by lol

iidylii

Yeah I wasn't aware that ***** would actually give u dry ice and a box for it! Just found that out yesterday lol

jay0705

Lol you always order online. I order ova prawn roe from marine depot and its frozen solid when i get it. Packed with 4 bags of dry ice

iidylii

Good ideas! I have checked on eBay and what not and never found any frozens so this might be my new way of buying

iidylii

And that ideas not gonna work...$30 shipping on one and $20 shipping on the other ;~} oh well just have to keep stocking up while I'm out of town...no biggie it's not like it expires quick anyways lol

lmforbis

if you are already in the cities you can pick up at BRS. I would think they'd package it in dry ice. It is the shipping on dry ice that makes it so expensive.

one-fish

Small 6 pack igloo with 2 of those freezer packs for extra insurance wrap in wet towel. I used the freezzer packs on all day fishing trips until we got a Yeti Cooler.

iidylii

This is so frustrating...even when I give him fresh stuff he takes a gulp and then goes down into my rocks and hides until the food is all gone...then comes back out

iidylii

Yeah I have chaeto...I put some in the tank and he picks at it when he sees it...he looks healthy and not thin so i dont know...he does eat like I said just not munching it down this week like he normally does...ill just keep an eye on the situation I guess

Last edited:

iidylii

nope im not paying $20 + for frozen handling fees lol...I was out of town visiting my brother for the coral expo and picked up $75 worth of food lol brought it back in a cooler with ice which did the job I guess...was a tad bit squishy when I got back but not bad at all..still has its color at least...fyi I said ***** would supply dry ice but this particular one did not so idk lol...but yeah that's my solution to not having a store near me I just buy out all there frozen evertime I visit ;)...also got omega pellets and omega flakes which everything seems to like