Funny Clowns

oceanminded

Ok if there are any clown experts out there I want to know why most clowns I have ever owned stay at the top of the tank and never go into the rocks and make a home.

standish

I'm no expert, but my two Ocellaris clowns will hang out all day just wagging in the rocks. At night they are bobbing around sideways at the surface in a corner.

moraym

mine actually sit by the bottom of the tank, in a little cove out of the current, bobbing up and down.

neoreef

before my clowns decided to host in the xenia, they just hung out swimming around until night time when they would go vertical by the overhang of my biowheel filter. Now they love the xenia all the time.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by oceanminded
Ok if there are any clown experts out there I want to know why most clowns I have ever owned stay at the top of the tank and never go into the rocks and make a home.

Possibly low oxygen.
Do you have good gas exchange on the water surface?
What temp is the tank water?
Thomas

oceanminded

I would think I have good exchange...two retuns from sump, 3 powerheads near the surface. Temp stays at 82 and all other fish are fine. My clowns are healthy they just stay in one place. Every clown I have owned in different tanks have done this.

bang guy

It has been my experience that Clownfish often "adopt" the first place they see in the tank. Are they hanging out at the spot you released them into the tank?

viper_930

My two clowns used to just swim all around the glass and never went into the LR until I got my anemone.