Fuzy Darwf lion

clown4life

I know some about them but I need to know everything I can. I have a 90gal reef, plenty of hidding. I know they will eat fish but how big of fish and what kind? I have a hppo,atlantic,cardinail,yellow watchmen,foxface,clowns,and my mandrains. I have heard that a fuzzy will eat my mandrains but, they are both big male 2.5-3 inches and female 2-2.5 in. I have looked around and found a really small lion like 3-4 inches maybe smaller. So I was woundering does any one keep one in a reef and also with gobys? Also I was looking to get a fairy and chrismas wrasses

premilove

i was in the same position as you but i was going to stick a fuzzy in my 150. I was told- they are true predators; Even if you have a lot of hiding spots, they will follow the fish and wait outside of the spot and waitfor a fish to come out.

bpro32

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2813952
i was in the same position as you but i was going to stick a fuzzy in my 150. I was told- they are true predators; Even if you have a lot of hiding spots, they will follow the fish and wait outside of the spot and waitfor a fish to come out.
+1
I don't have one but I have heard all the stories. I am going to get a dwarf zebra and I have done a lot of research and heard many stories. Don't get anything that will fit into their mouths. Since they get up to 7" and a lot of reef fish are small, you may want to stay away from a lion.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2813952
I have to disagree with this. I have two dwarfs, one fuzzy and one zebra. They have never once even looked twice at my Falco. My Falco is about two and a half inches. He is full grown. I have had the fuzzy for over a year and the Zebra for about 9 months. They have never bothered my Falco at all. They are not predators to anything but the food that I put in there. I have a crab and a serpent star in there, as well as snails and a tiger cowrie. I wouldn't put a shrimp in with one but as long as the fish is larger than half the size of the lion then he will be fine. Keep in mind they lions grow quickly. My fuzzy is the size of my hand. I do not fear for my Falco's life at all. The fuzzy could eat him if he wanted to. "Sir Quizzy" (my Falco) was there first. He perches on the fuzzy. Mr. Lion (fuzzy) does not mind.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2813992
I have to disagree with this. I have two dwarfs, one fuzzy and one zebra. They have never once even looked twice at my Falco. My Falco is about two and a half inches. He is full grown. I have had the fuzzy for over a year and the Zebra for about 9 months. They have never bothered my Falco at all. They are not predators to anything but the food that I put in there. I have a crab and a serpent star in there, as well as snails and a tiger cowrie. I wouldn't put a shrimp in with one but as long as the fish is larger than half the size of the lion then he will be fine. Keep in mind they lions grow quickly. My fuzzy is the size of my hand. I do not fear for my Falco's life at all. The fuzzy could eat him if he wanted to. "Sir Quizzy" (my Falco) was there first. He perches on the fuzzy. Mr. Lion (fuzzy) does not mind.
It's possible for lions to eat a fish as big as themselves or slightly bigger.. there's been horror stories of them dying because of this too. Same with anglers, scorpion fish, and rhinopias.

zanoshanox

I once had a lion, not a fuzzy dwarf, but he was only about 2 inches. Tried to eat me yellow watchman goby that was easily 2.5-3in and killed them both in the process. They both survived the innitial attack but the lion was dead in the morning and i never saw the goby again. true story, so my advice, proceed with caution =[

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2813997
It's possible for lions to eat a fish as big as themselves or slightly bigger.. there's been horror stories of them dying because of this too. Same with anglers, scorpion fish, and rhinopias.
Certainly we could find horror stories of anything we would like. I am sharing my own experience with my lions. I feed my lions every other day, sometimes I skip and it is a third day. It isn't like I keep them constantly fed. They have never bothered my Falco. Not once was I ever afraid for him. My fuzzy could eat him if he wanted to. The fuzzy doesn't bother him ever. He looks for food at the top of the tank when it is dropped in. It helps that the Falco was there first and the lion "grew up" in the same tank. He still could eat him if he wanted to. I am not scared though. I am very confident that he won't. If he had ever shown the slightest interest in eating my Falco then I wouldn't risk it. He never has though. Neither of my lions ever stalk "Sir Quizzy" or come up close to him with interest.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
http:///forum/post/2814006
I once had a lion, not a fuzzy dwarf, but he was only about 2 inches. Tried to eat me yellow watchman goby that was easily 2.5-3in and killed them both in the process. They both survived the innitial attack but the lion was dead in the morning and i never saw the goby again. true story, so my advice, proceed with caution =[
Yellow watchmans grow to an inch and a half...

R

rcreations

I have a fuzzy dwarf with a clown fish that's less than half his size and never had a problem. They've been together for at least 6 months. I also have nassarius snails, hermit crabs and all types of little snails that came from the LR. Never showed an interest in any of that. Only thing it DID eat was a peppermint shrimp I put in.

bpro32

Definitely listen to those that have experience. I'm just talking about stories I've heard that may or may not be true.
It is good to know that your lions aren't eating fish too often. Now I will definitely get a lawnmower blenny.

dfw

How compatible are fuzzy dwarfs with volitans? I was planning to add one or the other but can't decide which to add. Would adding both be ok in my 75g or should I choose one over the other?

kydizzle41

volitans and fuzzys can be together ive seen them in a bunch of tanks like this but it probably just depends on the lions personality

cranberry

It really depends on the personality of the fish. My fuzzy would attempt to eat a 10 year old child if it got the chance. And personalities can change over time. Your risk can increase as time goes on.....

prime311

Originally Posted by dfw
http:///forum/post/2814646
How compatible are fuzzy dwarfs with volitans? I was planning to add one or the other but can't decide which to add. Would adding both be ok in my 75g or should I choose one over the other?

Easy choice, cause a 75 is too small for a Volitans anyway.

sepulatian

I agree, don't get a volitan. Your tank is large enough if you only want a fish or two. A Volitan's mouth is HUGE though. You won't be able to stock much with one. A fuzzy could become lunch when the Volitan is grown. Not likely, but it could happen. You won't be able to stock fish large enough for him not to eat. A 75 is a 55 with slightly more room. The dimensions are not that much different. You get a few more inches front to back. The OP's tank is a 90, which is the same dimensions plus a few inches taller.