Gorgonian; Photosynthetic vs. nonphotosynthetic

I have a quick question...gorgonians, sea fans, etc...how often should the polyps come out? I have been assuming that it is good for them to be out alot, like most corals opening during the day and closing up at night...? Is that correct or should I be looking at it differently?

scopus tang

Can't speak for sea fans, as I've never had one, but my purple ribbon (and others I've had in the past tend to be polyped up 24/7. Occassionally for various reasons, they will not open for a week or so, usually because they have become covered in algae/diatoms) and need to slough the outer layer. Like this:

thanks for the info. I have had a pteroforfia-purple blade gorgonia since November that keeps its polpys out each day and at night usually goes in for a few hours. I have been thinking it is normal but suddenly today started to question it. The red sea fan I have been working with kept its polyps in nearly all the time in QT so I was really worried, but when I moved it it opened up immediately, it looks nearly white with the polyps. I was hoping that it was a good thing...

petjunkie

Scopas, I have one very similar to your purple blade, looks the same anyways

And also this one

I just got a tiny frag of a purple with very light white/tan polyps, very fuzzy all the way around, not sure what kind but was told it is a photosyntheic gorg. Mine have been doing well for months but I think would love more flow. Everything else in the tank wouldn't though.

scopus tang

petjunkie, I agree, the first one is definitely a Pterogorgia ssp. and probably is Pterogorgia guadalupensis, although it could be one of the other Pterogorgias. Have you ever fragged it?
The second one (assuming it is photosynthetic) I would say is a Plexaurella spp. or Pseudoplexaura ssp.
hard to say for sure which.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by corallover23
http:///forum/post/2644540
JUST TO MAKE SURE I AM CARING FOR IT RIGHT I KEEP IT UNDER HALIDES AND I FEED IT PHYTO CYCLO. IF YOU PAY FOR SHIPPING I CAN GIVE YOU A FRAG OF IT!ITS GROWING FAST
Corallover, even with it in my tank I'm having a heck of a hard time with this one. I'm thinking possibly a Diodogorgia ssp.
(red finger), but its shape/size is different than any of those I've seen in the past and in the texts. Still could be a Ellisella ssp.
I'm just not sure

petjunkie

Scopus, the first one has been fragged alot as i didn't order it and it was a huge specimen, my only suitable tank is 12" deep so a ton got chopped off to make it fit. It's all encrusted over the rocks I glued it to now. I've been feeding mostly phyto, oyster eggs and my homemade food.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by petjunkie
http:///forum/post/2663281
Scopus, the first one has been fragged alot as i didn't order it and it was a huge specimen, my only suitable tank is 12" deep so a ton got chopped off to make it fit. It's all encrusted over the rocks I glued it to now. I've been feeding mostly phyto, oyster eggs and my homemade food.
Cool, when you frag it, can you simply break it off, or do you have to cut it with a pair of scissors?

petjunkie

The parts that were too tall I just chopped off with scissors, but to actually frag it I cut down the bottom inch or so with a razor blade, it's pretty easy to shave off the flesh and get down to the stick part inside and then I superglue that to a rock. I was told this will help prevent recession but not sure if it helps or not really.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by petjunkie
http:///forum/post/2663425
The parts that were too tall I just chopped off with scissors, but to actually frag it I cut down the bottom inch or so with a razor blade, it's pretty easy to shave off the flesh and get down to the stick part inside and then I superglue that to a rock. I was told this will help prevent recession but not sure if it helps or not really.
Yep, I just use a pair of wire strippers when I do mine. Reason I was asking is according to Sprung, most of the Pterogorgia are brittle and break easily. The purple ribbon Pterogorgia guadalupensis
is not, and has to be cut with scissors.

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2662982
Corallover, even with it in my tank I'm having a heck of a hard time with this one. I'm thinking possibly a Diodogorgia ssp. (red finger), but its shape/size is different than any of those I've seen in the past and in the texts. Still could be a Ellisella ssp.
I'm just not sure
do you think it could be this i think it looks almost identical Siphonogorgia sp

http:///forum/post/2662982
Corallover, even with it in my tank I'm having a heck of a hard time with this one. I'm thinking possibly a Diodogorgia ssp. (red finger), but its shape/size is different than any of those I've seen in the past and in the texts. Still could be a Ellisella ssp.
I'm just not sure
Siphonogorgia sp. Red Sea, Indo-Pacific. ?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by corallover23
http:///forum/post/2663574
Siphonogorgia sp. Red Sea, Indo-Pacific. ?

Na Siphonogorgia sp.
are soft corals in the family Nidaliidae; more like, but not quite the same as my orange carnation coral pictured in my tank diary. This is definitely a gorgorian, just not sure which one. I would say it is somewhat similar to the one Borneman lists as unidentified on pg 156 of his book, Aquarium Corals.

http:///forum/post/2663669
Na Siphonogorgia sp.
are soft corals in the family Nidaliidae; more like, but not quite the same as my orange carnation coral pictured in my tank diary. This is definitely a gorgorian, just not sure which one. I would say it is somewhat similar to the one Borneman lists as unidentified on pg 156 of his book, Aquarium Corals.
oh lol my bad looked like what was in the pic tho

Here is my newest addition! I am a sucker for gorgonia, I just love the way they look and make the tank look! Not sure of the exact name though...

aquaknight

I'll add mine here too since some weren't covered yet...
Muricea sp.

Muriceopsis flavida

Pterogorgia guadalupensis

Photo-ho-FTS pic too

morval

i just got this purple sea whip from crush4989, it was huge so i have 3 frags of it available anyone interested lemme know will put it in clasified sooner or later also. heres a close up and will post other shots later

N

nonphotosynt

Common non-photosynthetic gorgonians:
Diodogorgia nodulifera, red and yellow morphs with common names:
Red finger gorgonian, different varieties:

Usual and long-tentacled one, wide shaped:

Yellow finger gorgonian:

Who has or had them, post please, how they were for you after 1 year. I had heard, that they show growth, but after 1 yr seize to fight and shut off. Mine oldest is 2 yrs old, still alive. I'm interested what influences their survival or death.