Got Out 13 Years Ago, Slowly Getting Back In - Just Bought a Tank

scooter8416

After selling off all my equipment 13 years ago. I'm now at a point in my life to jump back in.

There is a local pet distributor warehouse near me that is going out of business and I was able to pick up a tank from them. It's a marineland 150 reef ready. (4'x2'x30") I had my mind set on a 180 but the 150 was one of the largest tanks they had left and the price was too good to be true.

Wondering what the general consensus would be for what tang(s) could be kept in the 150 dd?

Last edited:

lmforbis

Your tank is large volume wise but not dimension wise. You are limited in the tang department because of the dimensions of the tank. Most tangs need length to swim and you only have 4 feet. Here is my list of possibles.
Yellow
Purple
Tomini
Kole
Scopas
Chevron
Pretty much only bristle tooth tangs and zebrasoma tangs.

I have a 120 deep that is 5 feet long and my blue did not do well (he did well in my old 125 which was longer), I ended up rehoming him. My tomini does great. Bristle tooths are more inclined to flit around the rocks rather than to swim.

You will love the marineland reef ready. I was advised that my deep tank would be a nightmare to clean. It really hasn’t been. I bought a “flipper” algae scraper and now 3 years later I still love the dimensions of the tank.

beaslbob

welcome and just about anything.

FWIW the DSBs of 13+ years ago have fallen out of favor. Today there is more dosing (vodka) plus more emphasis on balancing out the system with macro algaes.

But that's just me and my .02

Last edited:

scooter8416

Thanks for the replays. I always wanted to try keeping a blue power and figured that would be off the table with the 150. Thinking I'd put a purple, and yellow, or sailfin if I continue with the 150.

Beaslbob- good to see a familiar name. I remember seeing some of your posts from way back then. I did see that the DSBs are now a thing of the past. What is the recommended sand depth now?

The warehouse has 40# boxes of the aragalive special grade reef sand for $15. Was gonna pick up some that weekend.