GREEN CARPET ANEMONE HELP!

saltfresh98

I just bought a green carpet anemone 6 days ago and it still hasn't found a place Cause it's been moving a bit. Well it's changed color, when I bought it it was green but now it's a grayish color
[/IMG][/IMG]

tthemadd1

Water quality isn't looking so hot.
How big is your tank?
How long has it been setup?
What are your water parameter?
How did you acclimate it?
What type of lights do you have?
Anemones will move on a regular basis to find the best spot in the tank. Good flow, good light, good structure to latch onto, etc. they are kind of like a snail in that respect.
It doesn't look in horrible shape but if your lighting is not adequate it will go downhill.
This is just a start answer those questions and someone should be able to chime in.

flower

Hello, and welcome to the site!
Anemones are a pain in the butt, I have renamed them beautiful fish eaters. Cover your power heads, because they will follow the water flow and commit sushi, poisoning everything in the tank as it dies.
They need lots of light, the most powerful... such as Metal Halides or the new LED types. Fluorescent lights are no where near powerful enough, ever. If you have enough T5HO bulbs it's a big maybe. I'm talking sun shine in a box power.
The next thing that's very important are the water parameters. Anemones need near perfect conditions, so we don't get one until the tank is at least 6 months mature. A new tank goes through all kinds of adjustments and stages the first year it is set up, an anemone needs very stable conditions.
Your anemone turned grey color because it is super stressed out. The list that tthemadd1 asked is right on spot, all those questions need to be answered for us to really be able to help you..

saltfresh98

Tank is 55 gallons
It's been set up for 4 months
Parameters: ph: 8.0 ammonia: 0.25 nitrite: 0.25 nitrate 5.0
I acclimate it by floating the bag and adding my tank water every 20 minutes. I did it that in an hour
Light: Coralife Dual t5 fixture

tthemadd1

There is something wrong with your water. Ammonia should always be 0 Nitrites should be 0.
I would test daily for a week and determine why the readings are showing up at all.
Might not be enough light for that anemone as well. I have RBTAs under 96w pcs. They are doing great. They are also less light dependent an I feed them weekly.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfresh98 http:///t/396038/green-carpet-anemone-help#post_3527841
I just went to my local fish store and bought a aquatop SLR-48 led it has 39W
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that light might not support any anemone.
Straight from their website. It will put out 100 PAR at 18" depth (the depth of your 55g tank). And that is if the anemone is directly under the thin strip LED. This unit has a total of 39 watts. It probably uses .25 watt diodes, you want a fixture that uses the 3 watt diodes. It could maybe work if you have dual fixtures, but then you are looking at spending $500.00+, and for that kind of money there are a lot better LED fixtures out there. Check out reefbreeder dot com and research their value fixtures and Photon series fixtures. AI Vega's, and Radion's Gen 2 are some name brand fixtures that are pretty powerful and can support all light hungry corals and anemones.
Again, I hope I am not coming off as being a jerk (because that is not my intention). I am just pointing out that there are better units out there for the money. Maybe you can return that light and get store credit and have them order you a different LED fixture.
I also agree with tthemadd1 that there is something off with your water parameters. You never want any value other than 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrite. Is the tank still cycling??

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfresh98 http:///t/396038/green-carpet-anemone-help#post_3527831
Tank is 55 gallons
It's been set up for 4 months
Parameters: ph: 8.0 ammonia: 0.25 nitrite: 0.25 nitrate 5.0
I acclimate it by floating the bag and adding my tank water every 20 minutes. I did it that in an hour
Light: Coralife Dual t5 fixture
Hi,
I'm in the middle of a home project...so I don't mean to be short on my answer.
Ammonia and nitrites are deadly to all sea life, some hardy critters can manage but an anemone can't live under those conditions at all, they are way too sensitive...the light isn't powerful enough.

mr llimpid

+ + + on all the above. Please return the anemone it will die soon. Your tank is to young to support an anemone and your lighting is to low. Patience, my friend, soon you will be able to get that anemone.

tthemadd1

Did the same store that sold you the anemone sell you the lights? If so they are not well trained and therefore you should avoid their advise. Noone is trying to dissuade you from this hobby. We all really enjoy the volume of labor involved and put up with the high cost because the results are truly gratifying.
More reading research and time and you can have a great tank with all the bells and whistles. Cool corals, anemones, and most of the really cool fish are not compatible, cheap, or easy to care for in the long run. One way or another we will spend lots of money. Either on mid/high end equipment or fish, coral, or invert replacement plans. I know the cost of a carpet can be well over $100 and if the system isn't up to the task two or three carpets later your throwing the same money down and harming sea life destroying a resource and wasting time and money.
Sllooooww. And Steaaaddyyyy