hair algea

cranberry

My peacock will not touch the longspin urchin. Other than that there isn't anything I can put in there with him. It depends on how agressive yours is and how hungry he gets. Our G. chiragra had a regular urchin in with him for the longest time.... maybe a year... and then one morning the urchin's top was all pounded in and his innards were gone.

boxer

just got rid of mine, i did a water change and got some nirate media, use the media bag, or a reactor, kill your light for 48 hours and use phosban also with reduce fish feeding

A

alexmir

I FINALLY AM ALMOST RID OF MINE!!!! It has been amazing watching it die!
I have found that no amount of critters will keep hair algea under control. SO i just started making my own RODI water, and put in a hang on back fuge, and it has been slowly dying for two months, it is almost gone!
I also had absolutly no luck with turning off the lights for 2-3 days. I have turned back my lights to just a few hours a day, and that seems to be helping along with the fuge.

srgvigil

+1 on the critters not helping.
I finally got rid of mine after 3 months of fighting it. I originaly just picked it and got snails/hermit crabs. The snails died and the hermits did nothing. From picking it the filaments spread and grew. The best thing to do is to attack it at its source. I got rid of the phosphates and now the green hair algae is all dead. Yay!

A

alexmir

Make sure that you are using RO water, and make sure that if you are making it or buying it that the source RO water also has no posphates.
you can either use that approach, which is slow, but works. Or you can use phosbust type product to immediately extract the phosphate. Theres also phosphate sponges and filter media you could stick in a filter to take them out